When the first ever video was posted on YouTube, nobody could have predicted the huge impact the network would have a mere eight years later.
On 23 April 2005, Jawed Karim uploaded the first ever video on YouTube at 8:27 P.M. The video was shot at the San Diego Zoo by Yakov Lapitsky.
Today, in just one month, the video-sharing website generates more content than all the major movie studios have in the last 60 years. As a result, YouTube has had over one trillion views in the course of its eight-year life.
Jawed Karim’s San Diego Zoo video
YouTube was created in February 2005 by Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim (the star of that maiden 20 second video), three former PayPal employees, and their company is based in San Bruno, California.
The YouTube website displays a wide variety of user-generated video content, including clips from movies and TV, along with music videos and amateur content such as video blogs, short original videos and educational videos.
YouTube offered the public a beta test of the site in May 2005 and it was officially launched in November 2005. The website grew rapidly. In July 2006 the company announced that more than 65,000 new videos were being uploaded every day and that the site was receiving 100 million video views per day.
In November 2006, the company was bought by Google for 1.26 billion euros. Now, YouTube operates as a subsidiary of Google. It is estimated that in 2007 YouTube consumed as much bandwidth as the entire Internet did in 2000.
- 1Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
- 2Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
- 3Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
- 4Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
- 5‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
UK: Four dead as private jet crashes into car auction site
Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
Hillary Clinton urges Congress to end US trade embargo on Cuba
Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
Wires > News
- 02:55 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 01:40 CET Iraq’s Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…
- 22:20 CET Venezuela supermarket looting leaves one dead, dozens detained
- 21:58 CET Vaccine success holds hope for end to deadly scourge of Ebola
- 21:27 CET U.S. Marines declare initial F-35 squadron ready for combat
- 21:22 CET Kerry to press Malaysia on human trafficking, not scandal