23/04/13 22:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius has flown to Libya to inspect the damage and visit the wounded after a car bomb devastated France’s embassy in Tripoli.
“It was done to kill,” Fabius said. “A specialist told me 5 kg of explosives were used. It’s a miracle there weren’t personnel here, otherwise dozens would have died.”
Two French guards were injured by the blast in the Libyan capital.
Nobody has yet claimed responsibility, but al Qaeda’s North Africa arm (AQIM) threatened retaliation for French intervention in Mali as recently as a week earlier.
France has been involved in intense fighting in its former colony since January, against Islamist insurgents who have profited from arms and fighters coming over the Sahara border from Libya.
Libya has been awash with weapons and roving armed bands ever since Muammar Gaddafi was toppled by the western backed rebels in 2011, though violence in Tripoli is rare.
The country’s prime minister, Ali Zeidan, who visited the scene with Fabius called it a “terrorist act” aimed at destabilising the country.
French President Francois Hollande has called on Libya to bring the bombers to justice, while a French counter-terrorism magistrate has been dispatched to aid the investigation.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 10:14 CET Singapore charges six Bangladeshi men for terrorism financing
- 09:32 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 09:26 CET G7 vows growth efforts as Japan’s Abe warns of global ‘crisis’
- 09:11 CET Speedboat crash kills three foreigners in Thailand – police
- 08:43 CET Insight – How a 26-year-old Ukrainian took on Odessa’s customs…
- 08:39 CET Australian TV station sacks producer over Lebanon child recovery…
- 07:18 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 07:17 CET China faces headaches from warming Vietnam-U.S. ties