23/04/13 08:26 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Images have emerged of the explosion outside the French Embassy in the Libyan capital of Tripoli.
The blast from a suspected car bomb injured two guards and destroyed the reception area.
Libyan Foreign Minister Mohammed Abdel Aziz has condemned the bombing as a “terrorist act”. French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius joined him in denouncing the act.
“It is an attack that targets not only France but all the countries that fight against terrorism. I’m going to travel immediately to Libya. This attack aimed to kill. France will never give in,” Fabius said.
Fabius added that security would be increased at French missions across the Middle East and Sahel region as a response. All activities at the French School and Cultural Institute in Tripoli have been suspended.
Security remains a concern in post-war Libya. A US mission was attacked in Benghazi last September, but this incident marks the first attack on a diplomatic mission in the capital.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
Latest world news
US primaries: Trump leading Republican pack, Sanders gaining on Clinton
Brazil carnival opens, amid growing Zika fears
At least five dead as powerful quake hits southern Taiwan
Former soldier stoned to death in Haiti clashes
Syrians flee to Turkish border as government forces close in on Aleppo
Wires > News
- 11:24 CET Three British troops injured in covert operation in Iraq – Mirror
- 11:17 CET Australian state premier offers 267 asylum seekers refuge
- 10:41 CET Taiwan quake kills at least eight, fells apartment block
- 10:18 CET Iran mocks Saudi offer to send ground troops to Syria
- 08:26 CET Al Qaeda mourns death of top commander in Yemen
- 07:56 CET Efforts to revive Afghan peace talks continue in Pakistan
- 07:06 CET As Myanmar powerbrokers talk, could Suu Kyi emerge as president?
- 05:25 CET China faces diplomatic ‘crisis’ over missing Hong Kong booksellers