Images have emerged of the explosion outside the French Embassy in the Libyan capital of Tripoli.
The blast from a suspected car bomb injured two guards and destroyed the reception area.
Libyan Foreign Minister Mohammed Abdel Aziz has condemned the bombing as a “terrorist act”. French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius joined him in denouncing the act.
“It is an attack that targets not only France but all the countries that fight against terrorism. I’m going to travel immediately to Libya. This attack aimed to kill. France will never give in,” Fabius said.
Fabius added that security would be increased at French missions across the Middle East and Sahel region as a response. All activities at the French School and Cultural Institute in Tripoli have been suspended.
Security remains a concern in post-war Libya. A US mission was attacked in Benghazi last September, but this incident marks the first attack on a diplomatic mission in the capital.
- 1Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 2Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
- 3Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 4Kentucky official jailed for refusing to recognise gay marriages
- 5Overnight stand-off as migrants refuse to go to Hungary refugee camp
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Aylan: Kobani awash with tears as the toddler, his brother and mother are buried
Hungarian ‘Freedom Train’ stationary for a second day
Syria’s Assad may share power with ‘healthy’ opposition – Putin
Insecurity greets returning Afghan refugees after exile in Pakistan
Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
Wires > News
- 16:01 CET Turkish policeman killed in PKK attack on police station
- 16:00 CET Portugal political risk rises with election race in dead heat
- 15:54 CET No letup in migrant crossings from beach where toddler drowned
- 15:44 CET Head of U.N. refugee agency to step down this year
- 15:21 CET Islamic State blows up tower tombs in Syria’s Palmyra -…
- 14:29 CET Insight – Mexican probe into possible massacre of 43 students…
- 14:15 CET Two drowned Syrian boys and their mother buried in home town Kobani
- 13:10 CET Ahead of Greek election, Syriza’s ‘lost generation’ deserts Tsipras