German giants Bayern Munich took a huge step towards reaching the final of the Champions League after they outclassed Barcelona 4-0 in the first leg at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday.
This was Barca’s worst defeat in Europe since they lost 4-0 by Dynamo Kiev in 1997.
German international Thomas Mueller opened the scoring in the 25th minute.
Robben made the cross, Dante won the aerial battle against Alves and Muller at the far post had the perfect chance to score, even though Valdes made good contact.
Thomas Mueller scores with a header
Mario Gomez doubled the hosts’ advantage from close range just after the restart.
Mario Gomez puts one past Victor Valdez
Former Chelsea winger Arjen Robben added a third with a superb individual effort on 73 minutes.
Arjen Robben makes the score 3-0
Mueller made sure of the win by converting David Alaba’s cross eight minutes from the end.
Thomas Mueller nets his second goal
The second leg gets underway in Barcelona on May 1.
Only three teams in European competition history that have recovered from a four-goal setback.
1960-61 – Cup Winners’ Cup: Portuguese side Leixos lost 6-2 to Swiss team Chaux de Fonds, yet registered a 5-0 win at home
1984-85 – Uefa Cup: Partizan Belgrade came back from 6-2 down against QPR to draw 6-6 on aggregate
1985-86 – Uefa Cup: Real Madrid were 5-1 down in the first leg of their third-round tie with Borussia Moenchengladbach but won 4-0 in the second leg
Bayern’s win also tasted revenge. Four years ago, during the season 2008 – 2009, the Germans had been defeated 4-0 by Barcelona at Camp Nou.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Africa Cup of Nations to go ahead in Morocco despite hosts Ebola fears
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3Andres Iniesta gets the Golden Foot award ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo
- 4UEFA set to charge Serbia and Albania after flag brawl
- 5Marathon madness as athletes brave Brazilian rain forest
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Battles rage for Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 02:41 CET Keane’s book ‘unnecessary’, says ex-United captain Robson
- 00:27 CET Dortmund crush Galatasaray to maintain 100 percent record
- 00:25 CET Rodgers unimpressed by Balotelli’s shirt swap
- 00:12 CET Roberto denies Juve as Olympiakos hold on for win
- 00:08 CET Ludogorets make history with 1-0 win over Basel
- 23:56 CET Defenders sparkle as Leverkusen beat Zenit
- 23:51 CET Arsenal steal points in late Anderlecht raid
- 23:42 CET Glaring miss costs Monaco against Benfica