German giants Bayern Munich took a huge step towards reaching the final of the Champions League after they outclassed Barcelona 4-0 in the first leg at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday.
This was Barca’s worst defeat in Europe since they lost 4-0 by Dynamo Kiev in 1997.
German international Thomas Mueller opened the scoring in the 25th minute.
Robben made the cross, Dante won the aerial battle against Alves and Muller at the far post had the perfect chance to score, even though Valdes made good contact.
Thomas Mueller scores with a header
Mario Gomez doubled the hosts’ advantage from close range just after the restart.
Mario Gomez puts one past Victor Valdez
Former Chelsea winger Arjen Robben added a third with a superb individual effort on 73 minutes.
Arjen Robben makes the score 3-0
Mueller made sure of the win by converting David Alaba’s cross eight minutes from the end.
Thomas Mueller nets his second goal
The second leg gets underway in Barcelona on May 1.
Only three teams in European competition history that have recovered from a four-goal setback.
1960-61 – Cup Winners’ Cup: Portuguese side Leixos lost 6-2 to Swiss team Chaux de Fonds, yet registered a 5-0 win at home
1984-85 – Uefa Cup: Partizan Belgrade came back from 6-2 down against QPR to draw 6-6 on aggregate
1985-86 – Uefa Cup: Real Madrid were 5-1 down in the first leg of their third-round tie with Borussia Moenchengladbach but won 4-0 in the second leg
Bayern’s win also tasted revenge. Four years ago, during the season 2008 – 2009, the Germans had been defeated 4-0 by Barcelona at Camp Nou.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1MotoGP champion Marc Marquez welcomed home after victory in Malaysia
- 2Wozniacki leaves the racket at home to run the New York Marathon
- 3Former Swedish international and Sheffield Wednesday player Klas Ingesson dies at 46
- 4South African mourns three sporting heroes
- 5Russia unveils 2018 World Cup emblem
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 3Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 4Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 11Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 12Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 13Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 19:40 CET Caterham F1 team have two weeks to find a buyer
- 18:34 CET Odds shorten on Chelsea emulating Arsenal’s ‘Invincibles’
- 18:18 CET Hamilton leads Mercedes one-two in U.S. practice
- 18:01 CET Suspect in killing of South Africa national football captain…
- 17:11 CET Zidane given coaching reprieve until ban appeal resolved
- 16:58 CET Argentina to play Portugal at Old Trafford
- 16:57 CET Jeptoo fails doping test – Athletics Kenya
- 16:33 CET Defiant Pellegrini won’t change ahead of derby