German giants Bayern Munich took a huge step towards reaching the final of the Champions League after they outclassed Barcelona 4-0 in the first leg at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday.
This was Barca’s worst defeat in Europe since they lost 4-0 by Dynamo Kiev in 1997.
German international Thomas Mueller opened the scoring in the 25th minute.
Robben made the cross, Dante won the aerial battle against Alves and Muller at the far post had the perfect chance to score, even though Valdes made good contact.
Thomas Mueller scores with a header
Mario Gomez doubled the hosts’ advantage from close range just after the restart.
Mario Gomez puts one past Victor Valdez
Former Chelsea winger Arjen Robben added a third with a superb individual effort on 73 minutes.
Arjen Robben makes the score 3-0
Mueller made sure of the win by converting David Alaba’s cross eight minutes from the end.
Thomas Mueller nets his second goal
The second leg gets underway in Barcelona on May 1.
Only three teams in European competition history that have recovered from a four-goal setback.
1960-61 – Cup Winners’ Cup: Portuguese side Leixos lost 6-2 to Swiss team Chaux de Fonds, yet registered a 5-0 win at home
1984-85 – Uefa Cup: Partizan Belgrade came back from 6-2 down against QPR to draw 6-6 on aggregate
1985-86 – Uefa Cup: Real Madrid were 5-1 down in the first leg of their third-round tie with Borussia Moenchengladbach but won 4-0 in the second leg
Bayern’s win also tasted revenge. Four years ago, during the season 2008 – 2009, the Germans had been defeated 4-0 by Barcelona at Camp Nou.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 22:17 CET Swimming – WADA may appeal Sun’s three-month doping ban
- 21:36 CET Danny’s late goal keeps Zenit’s last-16 hopes alive
- 20:54 CET McLaren make troubled start to new Honda era
- 20:32 CET Qatar beat Saudi Arabia to win Gulf Cup title
- 20:08 CET Barca’s Luis Suarez endorsed by club legend Luis Suarez
- 19:48 CET Sainz tipped for Vergne’s Toro Rosso seat
- 19:36 CET England fall short in Sri Lanka despite Moeen century
- 17:22 CET Torpedo Moscow’s ground partly closed over racist chants