23/04/13 22:31 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
German giants Bayern Munich took a huge step towards reaching the final of the Champions League after they outclassed Barcelona 4-0 in the first leg at the Allianz Arena on Tuesday.
This was Barca’s worst defeat in Europe since they lost 4-0 by Dynamo Kiev in 1997.
German international Thomas Mueller opened the scoring in the 25th minute.
Robben made the cross, Dante won the aerial battle against Alves and Muller at the far post had the perfect chance to score, even though Valdes made good contact.
Thomas Mueller scores with a header
Mario Gomez doubled the hosts’ advantage from close range just after the restart.
Mario Gomez puts one past Victor Valdez
Former Chelsea winger Arjen Robben added a third with a superb individual effort on 73 minutes.
Arjen Robben makes the score 3-0
Mueller made sure of the win by converting David Alaba’s cross eight minutes from the end.
Thomas Mueller nets his second goal
The second leg gets underway in Barcelona on May 1.
Only three teams in European competition history that have recovered from a four-goal setback.
1960-61 – Cup Winners’ Cup: Portuguese side Leixos lost 6-2 to Swiss team Chaux de Fonds, yet registered a 5-0 win at home
1984-85 – Uefa Cup: Partizan Belgrade came back from 6-2 down against QPR to draw 6-6 on aggregate
1985-86 – Uefa Cup: Real Madrid were 5-1 down in the first leg of their third-round tie with Borussia Moenchengladbach but won 4-0 in the second leg
Bayern’s win also tasted revenge. Four years ago, during the season 2008 – 2009, the Germans had been defeated 4-0 by Barcelona at Camp Nou.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
- 3Djokovic downs Federer to secure ATP World Tour title in London
- 4Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
- 5FIFA ethics panel calls for sanctions against Blatter and Platini
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Wires > Sport
- 12:28 CET Kenya bans seven more athletes for doping
- 12:04 CET Shell boast of boost to Ferrari
- 11:38 CET Australia’s Campbell sets 100m freestyle short-course record
- 11:30 CET Lauda and Wolff hold hands amid talk of strife
- 11:13 CET Cerebral Ashwin spins his way to the top
- 00:34 CET Shevchenko to join Ukraine coaching staff – report
- 22:09 CET Murray rises above the din as tempers fray
- 22:07 CET Bayern see slight dip in 2014/15 turnover, profits up