Close to 200 people have been killed in intense fighting between the Nigerian military and Islamist extremists.
The battle began on Friday night in the northeastern fishing community of Baga on Lake Chad and lasted many hours.
Reports suggest insurgents fired rocket propelled grenades and soldiers responded with machine-gun fire as civilians got caught up in the violence, many villages and towns were torched.
The Red Cross says it is unclear whether the victims were soldiers, civilians or Islamists as the bodies were so badly charred.
It is thought fighting began when Nigerian troops surrounded a mosque where they believed members of the Boko Haram group were hiding.
The carnage marks a escalation in the long-running insurgency in the mainly Muslim north of the country.
The violence grew following a 2009 riot by Boko Haram in Maiduguri that resulted in a police and military crackdown that left 700 dead.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 3World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5North Korea: broadcasts footage said to show latest missile launch
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Latest world news
Victims of Sara Netanyahu’s ‘abusive behaviour’ win 39,000 euros
France: two deadly crashes involving children in two days
Iran marks 37 years since the Islamic Revolution
Fresh figures suggest scale of humanitarian crisis in Syria
Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
Wires > News
- 13:39 CET U.S. tells allies campaign to defeat Islamic State must be…
- 13:39 CET Prison riot in northeast Mexico kills dozens – local media
- 13:36 CET Spain’s acting PM could ask EU for deficit target flexibility
- 13:34 CET Pro-government forces seize camp outside Yemen capital
- 13:06 CET Turkey-Israel talks to restore ties going well, no deal yet – …
- 12:53 CET NATO allies launch sea mission against people-smugglers
- 12:51 CET Latvia parliament approves PM Maris Kucinskis new government
- 12:13 CET Iran’s Rouhani calls for political unity before crucial votes – TV