Close to 200 people have been killed in intense fighting between the Nigerian military and Islamist extremists.
The battle began on Friday night in the northeastern fishing community of Baga on Lake Chad and lasted many hours.
Reports suggest insurgents fired rocket propelled grenades and soldiers responded with machine-gun fire as civilians got caught up in the violence, many villages and towns were torched.
The Red Cross says it is unclear whether the victims were soldiers, civilians or Islamists as the bodies were so badly charred.
It is thought fighting began when Nigerian troops surrounded a mosque where they believed members of the Boko Haram group were hiding.
The carnage marks a escalation in the long-running insurgency in the mainly Muslim north of the country.
The violence grew following a 2009 riot by Boko Haram in Maiduguri that resulted in a police and military crackdown that left 700 dead.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
Forensic teams identify victims of Ataturk airport attack as relatives mourn
Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
Russia extends ban on Western food products
Atatürk Airport attack – why did it happen?
Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
Wires > News
- 23:21 CET Brazil Senate planning impeachment vote for last days of Olympics
- 23:10 CET Urging tougher stance, U.N. adds 2,500 peacekeepers to Mali
- 23:07 CET North American leaders vow to boost trade despite threats
- 21:56 CET Obama urges Venezuela to respect democratic process
- 21:30 CET Groups urge U.N. to suspend Saudi Arabia from rights council
- 21:18 CET CIA’s Brennan says expects that IS is plotting attacks against U.S.
- 20:57 CET Switzerland and EU need to find compromise on immigration – EU’s…
- 20:32 CET Italy votes to halt aviation supplies to Egypt over student death