09/04/13 05:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Syria has rejected calls by the UN which wants to widen its investigation into the use of chemical weapons in the country.
There is currently an advance team of UN-backed experts in Cyprus waiting for permission to enter, but the government has asked the United Nations to only look into a chemical attack in March near Aleppo which it blamed on the rebels.
UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon says he wants an all-encompassing inquiry that would also look into alleged attacks in Damascus and Homs.
“We have made available over 15 experts who possess different skills and expertise, among them inspectors, but also medical and analytical chemists, so this will be up to the head of mission to decide whom he needs and he will determine the composition of the team.”
“I urge the Syrian government to be more flexible, so that this mission can be deployed as fast as possible.” Ban said.
Meanwhile Syrian state media claim at least 15 people have been killed and more than 50 wounded after a suicide bomber detonated his vehicle in Damascus.
This is just the latest in a series of such bombings in the capital in recent months, as the rebels push ever closer to Assad’s seat of power.
- 1Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 2Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 3Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
- 4Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 5Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
Latest world news
Gunmen storm cafe in Bangledeshi capital Dhaka
Colosseum makeover gets the thumbs up from Italian PM Renzi
Israeli-Palestinian conflict ‘perpetual’ unless positive steps taken – Quartet
EU extends sanctions against Russia over Ukraine
Brexit sparks a political drama in the UK likened to the House of Cards
Wires > News
- 20:21 CET Gunmen attack restaurant in Dhaka’s diplomatic quarter
- 20:20 CET Putin hints Russia will react if Finland joins NATO
- 20:18 CET U.S. says kills up to 116 civilians in strikes outside war zones
- 20:07 CET U.N. rights investigator urges Myanmar to crack down on religious…
- 19:10 CET Italy’s biggest Chinese community clashes with police near Florence
- 19:08 CET Two suspects in Istanbul attack identified as Russian – Turkish…
- 18:56 CET Romanians offer symbolic EU membership to ‘Remain-ian’ Brits
- 18:27 CET Witnessing migrants being rescued at sea