09/04/13 05:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Syria has rejected calls by the UN which wants to widen its investigation into the use of chemical weapons in the country.
There is currently an advance team of UN-backed experts in Cyprus waiting for permission to enter, but the government has asked the United Nations to only look into a chemical attack in March near Aleppo which it blamed on the rebels.
UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon says he wants an all-encompassing inquiry that would also look into alleged attacks in Damascus and Homs.
“We have made available over 15 experts who possess different skills and expertise, among them inspectors, but also medical and analytical chemists, so this will be up to the head of mission to decide whom he needs and he will determine the composition of the team.”
“I urge the Syrian government to be more flexible, so that this mission can be deployed as fast as possible.” Ban said.
Meanwhile Syrian state media claim at least 15 people have been killed and more than 50 wounded after a suicide bomber detonated his vehicle in Damascus.
This is just the latest in a series of such bombings in the capital in recent months, as the rebels push ever closer to Assad’s seat of power.
- 1Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
- 4Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Wires > News
- 12:05 CET Irish fin min likely to retain post in new government – source
- 12:02 CET Two car bombs kill at least eight in southern Iraq – police sources
- 11:47 CET EU set to drive forward visas for Turks in migrant deal
- 10:26 CET Yemen’s Houthis seize military base, endangering peace talks
- 09:17 CET Three Turkish soldiers killed, 14 others wounded in PKK attack in…
- 08:51 CET Taiwan DPP condemns latest deportation of Taiwanese to China
- 08:37 CET Rare rallies in Vietnam over mysterious mass fish deaths
- 07:04 CET Facing long odds in California, Cruz courts state’s Republicans