09/04/13 17:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Thousands of people packed into Yerevan’s Freedom Square to protest against the inauguration of Serzh Sarksyan for his second term as Armenia’s president.
The defeated candidate even went on hunger strike for a while, claiming the election had been rigged.
The first time Sarksyan was elected in 2008 riots led to 10 deaths.
“I don’t want someone like Sarksyan as president,” said Knyaz Minasyan, an opposition demonstrator. “I want someone who loves Armenia and thinks about its future.”
He took up office again after his defeated opponent had lodged 70 complaints with the electoral commission, but its conclusion was that they were based neither on fact nor legal evidence.
Sarksyan oversaw a return to economic growth after years of stagnation in Armenia although there is still widespread poverty in the former Soviet republic.
The latest World Bank statistics available showed more than a third of the population living in poverty in 2010.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Drastic cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 14:51 CET Air strikes pound Syrian city of Aleppo, death toll climbs
- 14:42 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 13:31 CET Cries heard as rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at…
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…
- 12:16 CET Muslim prayer hall set on fire on French island of Corsica