08/04/13 04:07 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Fresh sectarian violence in Cairo on Sunday, left one person dead and more than 80 wounded, Egyptian state media reported.
The 30-year-old who was killed, identified as Mahrous Hana Tadros, was one of hundreds of Christians at an Orthodox Cathedral in the city centre, attending the funerals of four Christians killed in clashes on Friday.
Confrontations between Muslims and Christians have increased since the fall of autocratic president Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
There have been conflicting reports of who started the latest confrontation that soon resulted in the throwing of stones and petrol bombs.
Eleven policemen were reported among the wounded.
President Mohammed Mursi condemned the attack and reportedly called the Coptic Orthodox Pope to show solidarity.
Still many Christians blame the Muslim Brotherhood for the violence. Anti-government slogans were chanted as the coffins were carried from the cathedral.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Syria fighting rages despite fresh efforts to end the war
- 3Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 4Austria calls on FYRM to close borders to migrants
- 5Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Latest world news
Zika virus: Colombian doctors report hike in rare nerve disorder cases
Warm welcome for Pope Francis as he kicks off Mexico visit
Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
Cameron meets Merkel in last pre-summit referendum talks
Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
Wires > News
- 11:34 CET Red Cross delivers medical aid to Taiz, says ‘breakthrough’ in…
- 11:22 CET Guillain-Barre on rise in five Latam countries, no proven link to…
- 10:23 CET Former Indian PM Singh says Modi government failing to boost…
- 10:17 CET French PM says Russia must stop bombing of civilians in Syria
- 08:59 CET Central Asia’s tallest tower, being built in Kazakhstan, hit by…
- 08:40 CET Myanmar army chief to get five year extension as talks with Suu…
- 08:16 CET Australian PM in second revamp of ministry ahead of elections
- 06:58 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…