Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has died of a stroke at the age of 87. The news was broken by a family spokesperson.
“It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning,” said Lord Tim Bell.
The British government has said a ceremonial funeral with military honours would be held for Thatcher at London’s St. Paul cathedral, although no date was given. Her family had expressed a wish for no state funeral to be held.
British Prime Minister David Cameron said: “We have lost a great leader, a great Prime Minister and a great Briton.”
Cameron’s office said he was cutting short a visit to several European countries to return to London because of Thatcher’s death.
Queen Elizabeth said she was sad to hear the news of Thatcher’s death and sent a message of sympathy to her family.
Britain’s only woman prime minister, the tough, outspoken Thatcher, led the Conservatives to three election victories, governing from 1979 to 1990, the longest continuous period in office by a British prime minister since the early 19th century.
Former Polish president and Solidarity union leader Lech Walesa also paid tribute to what he called a “great personality who contributed to the fall of communism in Poland and eastern Europe along with Ronald Reagan, Pope John Paul II and the Solidarity Union,” adding “I pray for her.”
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 09:29 CET North Korea says to freeze assets of South Korean firms at Kaesong
- 09:27 CET Greek navy helicopter crashes in Aegean, three feared dead
- 09:20 CET Exclusive – Australia directed officials how to address Nauru…
- 09:11 CET Dozens face riot charges over Hong Kong Lunar New Year violence
- 08:57 CET Thailand’s ‘sea gypsies’ fight for access to ancestral shrines
- 08:54 CET Bangladesh upholds death sentences over 2004 attack on British…
- 08:43 CET Angola says 37 dead in yellow fever outbreak
- 07:59 CET Australian looks set for climate sceptic deputy PM