Both sides have claimed victory in Montenegro’s presidential election raising the prospect of a dispute, as the small mountainous Adriatic country bids to join the EU.
There is still no official word from the state electoral commission but both the incumbent Filip Vujanovic and opposition challenger Miodrag Lekic have taken to the airwaves to announce to the 680,000 strong population that they have won.
Though all of the real power is vested in the Prime Minister, a victory for Lekic would deal a painful blow to the ruling Democratic Party of Socialists (DPS) after more than two decades in power.
The state electoral commission, which had been expected to give the result during the night said it will announce the official result within 48 hours of the polls closing on Sunday evening.
A disputed result could prove problematic as the European Union is trying to steer the country through a raft of reforms to ready it for membership.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 3Narrow defeat for Austria far-right as Van der Bellen elected president
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5Protests against France’s labour reforms spread across the country with transport targeted
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
ISIL-claimed bombings on Assad strongholds are condemned by US and Russia
Catalonia: severe viral outbreak hospitalses more than 20 children
French union blockades spark petrol shortages
Wires > News
- 07:09 CET Facebook changes policies on ‘Trending Topics’ after criticism
- 07:04 CET Firefighters protect Canada’s oil sands battling 1,100 C flames
- 06:17 CET South Korea says more North Korean restaurant workers defect from…
- 03:26 CET Brazil’s new top diplomat shifts focus from ideology to trade
- 01:20 CET Canadian-Iranian citizen sentenced in U.S. for violating Iran…
- 23:03 CET Honduran family seeks dismissal of U.S. money laundering case
- 22:49 CET Taliban planned new attacks on U.S. targets in Kabul – …
- 22:41 CET North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader