07/04/13 14:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Forget all the political manoeuvring about the fiscal cliff, the real budget busters in Washington are traffic wardens.
Figures from the American Automobile Association (AAA) reveal last year 1.8 million parking tickets worth 92.5 million US dollars were issued. That is more than 71 million euros and 7.3 parking tickets per minute.
Drivers in Washington can face heavy fines for parking violations. One warden attached a 100 dollar ticket to a van which already had three others – making a total of 400 dollars.
It can cost up to 28 dollars per hour in a parking garage.
“Expensive, hard to find, and if you go for the garage, there are at least 17 to 20 dollars downtown,” lamented one driver.
John Townsend of AAA said: “It is so draconian and so spiteful, because the city knows it doesn’t have to provide parking. It doesn’t want to provide parking, because it can enjoy the fruits of millions of dollars from it.”
Parking is only free on Sundays, so during the week, motorists are battling it out for one of only 17,000 metred parking places.
euronews correspondent in Washington Stefan Grobe has a better idea.
“Visiting Washington DC is great, driving here considerably less. And parking is just a hassle. So the best thing would be to use a cab,” he said.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > News
- 12:34 CET Bosnian Serb general Zdravko Tolimir dies in The Hague
- 12:08 CET Rubio needs strong New Hampshire showing to rebut debate critics
- 12:02 CET Suicide blast near Damascus police club kills several – interior…
- 11:58 CET Swedish prosecutor preparing new application to interview Assange
- 11:53 CET Slovak PM says EU will either control migration this year or…
- 11:35 CET Eight dead, 150 hurt in train crash in Bavaria – police
- 11:33 CET Iraqi military advance reconnects Ramadi to key army base
- 11:28 CET Insight – Brazilian studies aim to unravel Zika’s link to birth…