07/04/13 14:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Forget all the political manoeuvring about the fiscal cliff, the real budget busters in Washington are traffic wardens.
Figures from the American Automobile Association (AAA) reveal last year 1.8 million parking tickets worth 92.5 million US dollars were issued. That is more than 71 million euros and 7.3 parking tickets per minute.
Drivers in Washington can face heavy fines for parking violations. One warden attached a 100 dollar ticket to a van which already had three others – making a total of 400 dollars.
It can cost up to 28 dollars per hour in a parking garage.
“Expensive, hard to find, and if you go for the garage, there are at least 17 to 20 dollars downtown,” lamented one driver.
John Townsend of AAA said: “It is so draconian and so spiteful, because the city knows it doesn’t have to provide parking. It doesn’t want to provide parking, because it can enjoy the fruits of millions of dollars from it.”
Parking is only free on Sundays, so during the week, motorists are battling it out for one of only 17,000 metred parking places.
euronews correspondent in Washington Stefan Grobe has a better idea.
“Visiting Washington DC is great, driving here considerably less. And parking is just a hassle. So the best thing would be to use a cab,” he said.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Wires > News
- 14:05 CET New security at Brussels Airport causes delays, missed flights
- 14:02 CET U.S. targets Islamic State in Mosul, other cities in Iraq, Syria
- 13:59 CET Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under…
- 13:51 CET Islamic State forces kill U.S. armed forces member in Iraq
- 13:29 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 13:18 CET Fists fly as Sri Lankan MPs protest changing of the guard for…
- 13:17 CET Rebel shelling kills at least 19 in Aleppo – Observatory
- 13:07 CET Hungary plans to hold migrant quota referendum in September or…