07/04/13 14:56 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Forget all the political manoeuvring about the fiscal cliff, the real budget busters in Washington are traffic wardens.
Figures from the American Automobile Association (AAA) reveal last year 1.8 million parking tickets worth 92.5 million US dollars were issued. That is more than 71 million euros and 7.3 parking tickets per minute.
Drivers in Washington can face heavy fines for parking violations. One warden attached a 100 dollar ticket to a van which already had three others – making a total of 400 dollars.
It can cost up to 28 dollars per hour in a parking garage.
“Expensive, hard to find, and if you go for the garage, there are at least 17 to 20 dollars downtown,” lamented one driver.
John Townsend of AAA said: “It is so draconian and so spiteful, because the city knows it doesn’t have to provide parking. It doesn’t want to provide parking, because it can enjoy the fruits of millions of dollars from it.”
Parking is only free on Sundays, so during the week, motorists are battling it out for one of only 17,000 metred parking places.
euronews correspondent in Washington Stefan Grobe has a better idea.
“Visiting Washington DC is great, driving here considerably less. And parking is just a hassle. So the best thing would be to use a cab,” he said.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 16:02 CET Ukraine files defence in $3 billion Russia Eurobond case
- 15:54 CET North Korea threatens retaliation after South Korean warning shots
- 15:42 CET Ugandan court sentences five men to life for 2010 bombings that…
- 14:14 CET Air France shirt-ripper trial postponed
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…