07/04/13 22:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Greek newspaper To Vima claims a secret report details huge amounts of money owed to Athens by Germany for World War Two reparations and unpaid loans.
The story has been picked up by the online edition of German newspaper Der Spiegel, who quote Greek organisations calculating the value of loans from Athens to Berlin taken by the Nazis between 1942 and 1944 at 54 billion euros.
Der Spiegel also puts the figure owed to Greece for reconstruction after the Second World War at 108 billion euros.
Though the details of the report are being kept under wraps by the Greek Finance Ministry and Greek paper To Vima refusing to print any specific figures, the sentiment is likely to anger those in the debt-stricken country facing austerity.
Germany is often a target of protesters in Athens, as cuts are made to ensure Greece gets two more bailout payments from the EU and IMF worth nine billion euros.
To prevent more anti-German sentiment, for now, the report is classified ‘TOP SECRET’, but To Vima is urging the Greek government to publish it.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report