07/04/13 22:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Greek newspaper To Vima claims a secret report details huge amounts of money owed to Athens by Germany for World War Two reparations and unpaid loans.
The story has been picked up by the online edition of German newspaper Der Spiegel, who quote Greek organisations calculating the value of loans from Athens to Berlin taken by the Nazis between 1942 and 1944 at 54 billion euros.
Der Spiegel also puts the figure owed to Greece for reconstruction after the Second World War at 108 billion euros.
Though the details of the report are being kept under wraps by the Greek Finance Ministry and Greek paper To Vima refusing to print any specific figures, the sentiment is likely to anger those in the debt-stricken country facing austerity.
Germany is often a target of protesters in Athens, as cuts are made to ensure Greece gets two more bailout payments from the EU and IMF worth nine billion euros.
To prevent more anti-German sentiment, for now, the report is classified ‘TOP SECRET’, but To Vima is urging the Greek government to publish it.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
Wires > News
- 02:59 CET Japan PM Abe to meet with Obama, Cameron ahead of G7 summit
- 02:51 CET After benefits of cheap oil, India counts cost of reduced Gulf…
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’