German giants Bayern Munich wrapped up their 23rd Bundesliga title with six games to go thanks to a narrow 1-0 win over Frankfurt on Saturday.
Jupp Henyckes’ men went into the game needing to match or better Borussia Dortmund’s result against Augsburg and Bastian Schweinsteiger’s classy backheel in the 52nd minute was enough to earn themselves all three points.
With six games still to play, it marks the earliest clinching of the title and makes Bayern the first team of any of the major European leagues to be crowned this season.
The Bavarians, who are still in the running for an unprecedented treble for a German club, will next lock horns with Juventus for a place in the Champions League semi-finals in Turin on Wednesday.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Why World Elephant Day matters
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Bolt celebrates triple triumph at world championships
German sailor Heil infected by Rio’s polluted water
Vuelta a Espana: Lindeman wins stage seven as Froome loses time on title rivals
Judo World Championships: Emane claims third career world title
Bartoletta wins second world long jump gold as Schippers sprints to 200m title
Wires > Sport
- 00:56 CET Belgian Boeckmans in coma after Vuelta crash
- 00:50 CET Kvitova beats Czech mate Safarova in Connecticut final
- 00:03 CET Anderson beats Herbert to win third ATP title
- 21:19 CET West Brom sign Man United defender Evans
- 20:26 CET Frightening pace was too much for Chelsea, says Pardew
- 17:40 CET Wales edge Ireland out in bruising World Cup warm-up
- 17:37 CET Russian Kuchina takes high jump gold
- 17:29 CET Rio 2016 organizers ‘extremely concerned’ over sick sailor