German giants Bayern Munich wrapped up their 23rd Bundesliga title with six games to go thanks to a narrow 1-0 win over Frankfurt on Saturday.
Jupp Henyckes’ men went into the game needing to match or better Borussia Dortmund’s result against Augsburg and Bastian Schweinsteiger’s classy backheel in the 52nd minute was enough to earn themselves all three points.
With six games still to play, it marks the earliest clinching of the title and makes Bayern the first team of any of the major European leagues to be crowned this season.
The Bavarians, who are still in the running for an unprecedented treble for a German club, will next lock horns with Juventus for a place in the Champions League semi-finals in Turin on Wednesday.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 14:38 CET Zidane interested in managing Real Madrid
- 14:02 CET New Zealanders dominate World Cup team of the tournament
- 13:43 CET Astana’s fate not sealed yet, decision expected in two weeks
- 12:43 CET Romania coach Iordanescu slams pitch in Ploiesti
- 11:41 CET Newcastle announce record profits
- 11:25 CET Germany will hit top form in crucial qualifiers, says Loew
- 11:06 CET Ecclestone proposes championship for women
- 10:51 CET Matic shines on another gloomy night for Serbia