German giants Bayern Munich wrapped up their 23rd Bundesliga title with six games to go thanks to a narrow 1-0 win over Frankfurt on Saturday.
Jupp Henyckes’ men went into the game needing to match or better Borussia Dortmund’s result against Augsburg and Bastian Schweinsteiger’s classy backheel in the 52nd minute was enough to earn themselves all three points.
With six games still to play, it marks the earliest clinching of the title and makes Bayern the first team of any of the major European leagues to be crowned this season.
The Bavarians, who are still in the running for an unprecedented treble for a German club, will next lock horns with Juventus for a place in the Champions League semi-finals in Turin on Wednesday.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > Sport
- 03:32 CET Leaked IAAF data reveals hundreds of abnormal blood tests – report
- 01:38 CET Athletes shrug off pollution issues at Rio Olympic test
- 00:51 CET Isner on course for Atlanta Open hat-trick
- 23:32 CET PSG beat Lyon to win third successive Trophy of Champions
- 22:40 CET Pole Wlodarczyk sets hammer world record
- 22:35 CET South African Sexwale may run for FIFA presidency
- 22:10 CET Korean Ko and Taiwanese Lu share Turnberry lead
- 20:09 CET Beaten Man City let in four goals in Stuttgart friendly