Chelsea got their Europa league quarter-final tie with Rubin Kazan off to the perfect start with a 3-1 win against the Russians in the first leg at Stamford Bridge.
Victor Mose scored a cracking half volley in the middle of a Fernando Torres double to put The Blues on track for the semis.
Contrasting fortunes for fellow English Premier League side Newcastle who lost to Benfica by the same scoreline in Lisbon.
Papiss Cisse scored first for the visitors but goals from Rodrigo, Lima and Óscar Cardozo left the Magpies with it all to do in the second leg next week.
Tottenham – who complete the English quarter-final contingency – came from two goals down to draw with Swiss side Basel at White Hart Lane while Pierre Webó and former Liverpool striker Dirk Kuyt both scored to hand Fenerbache a 2-0 win over Lazio.
- 1Usain Bolt felled by cameraman on segway
- 2Messi named Europe’s best player
- 3Judo World Championships: Emane claims third career world title
- 4Vuelta a Espana: Lindeman wins stage seven as Froome loses time on title rivals
- 5Bartoletta wins second world long jump gold as Schippers sprints to 200m title
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Vuelta a Espana: Lindeman wins stage seven as Froome loses time on title rivals
Judo World Championships: Emane claims third career world title
Bartoletta wins second world long jump gold as Schippers sprints to 200m title
Messi named Europe’s best player
Champions League group stage draw: Man Utd avoid heavyweights on return
Wires > Sport
- 05:48 CET Slovakia’s Toth wins 50 km walk at world championships
- 05:11 CET French qualifier Herbert maintains marathon run
- 04:21 CET Czech mates Kvitova, Safarova in New Haven final
- 01:31 CET Grand Slam question – Who can challenge Serena?
- 00:51 CET Federer eyeing a win for the ages at U.S. Open
- 23:21 CET Everton sign Uruguayan striker Rodriguez
- 23:21 CET Two more milestones for Mourinho
- 22:33 CET De Bruyne-less Wolfsburg hit three goals past Schalke