An independent judicial inquiry backed by football’s world governing body FIFA is to investigate a match-fixing scandal involving the South African national team in the build up to the 2010 World Cup.
In an affair that has cast a dark cloud over South African football, FIFA found the results of pre-World Cup warm-up matches against Thailand, Bulgaria, Colombia and Guatemala in the weeks leading up the 2010 finals had been fixed.
Allegations of the rigged games were first revealed in July 2011 by the country’s press but the South African football association failed to act immediately.
It was only when FIFA included the country in a wider investigation into Wilson Raj Perumal, a Singaporean jailed for two years for masterminding a match-fixing scheme in Finland, that the issue was raised again.
“This long-standing open case is harming South African football,” said FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke in a FIFA statement published following a meeting with South Africa Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula.
“It is vital that this matter which dates back to 2010 is concluded soon, with the culprits to be sanctioned in accordance with the zero tolerance policy.”
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 03:53 CET Australia wrong to drop Haddin for third test – Ponting
- 01:30 CET Mexico fire coach Herrera after alleged punching incident
- 23:41 CET Family of black golf legend Sifford accused of stealing $1 million
- 21:36 CET Woods sees game coming together after ‘frustrating’ season
- 20:17 CET Nigeria target German model in bid to revive fortunes
- 20:08 CET Diaby agrees deal to join Marseille
- 19:27 CET Boston activist group credited for defeating Olympics pitch
- 18:22 CET Berlin hosting “Jewish Olympics” in stadium Hitler built