An independent judicial inquiry backed by football’s world governing body FIFA is to investigate a match-fixing scandal involving the South African national team in the build up to the 2010 World Cup.
In an affair that has cast a dark cloud over South African football, FIFA found the results of pre-World Cup warm-up matches against Thailand, Bulgaria, Colombia and Guatemala in the weeks leading up the 2010 finals had been fixed.
Allegations of the rigged games were first revealed in July 2011 by the country’s press but the South African football association failed to act immediately.
It was only when FIFA included the country in a wider investigation into Wilson Raj Perumal, a Singaporean jailed for two years for masterminding a match-fixing scheme in Finland, that the issue was raised again.
“This long-standing open case is harming South African football,” said FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke in a FIFA statement published following a meeting with South Africa Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula.
“It is vital that this matter which dates back to 2010 is concluded soon, with the culprits to be sanctioned in accordance with the zero tolerance policy.”
- 1Tour de France: Rodriguez wins stage three as Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 2Red Bull Air Race: Arch wins in Budapest
- 3Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 4Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 5Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 1Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
- 2Tour de France: Rodriguez wins stage three as Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
- 3Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
- 4Solid gold Hamilton speeds silver arrow to victory at Silverstone.
- 5Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix visitors impress in Mongolia
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 10Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 11NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 13‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Tour de France: Rodriguez wins stage three as Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
Red Bull Air Race: Arch wins in Budapest
Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
Rohan Dennis record breaking Lycra lad wins Tour de France Grand Depart
Wires > Sport
- 05:45 CET Kyrgios slams ‘racist’ Olympic great Fraser
- 05:09 CET Dimitrov splits with coach Rasheed
- 02:59 CET Mayweather stripped of title he won in Pacquiao fight
- 22:38 CET Fury to meet world champion Klitschko in October
- 22:09 CET Barca agree to sign playmaker Arda from Atletico
- 22:04 CET Reporter asks beaten Berdych how it felt to go through
- 21:47 CET Former tour physio says McIlroy is ‘up against it’
- 20:24 CET Juventus coach Allegri adds year to contract