The southern French city of Marseille is hosting a Union for the Mediterranean summit this weekend.
The speakers – from parliaments across the region – are discussing deepening ties.
One analyst said European politicians must find a way to cooperate with new emerging forces in North Africa and the Middle East.
“How can European MPs work with parties based on political Islam and how can these parties strike any agreements with their European counterparts? That’s the real question,” said François Foret, a political scientist from the ULB in Brussels.
The Union for the Mediterranean was the brainchild of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
Launched in 2008, all EU countries are members, along with 16 Mediterranean partners. They include Syria, the Palestinian Authority and Tunisia.
“Analysis shows that foreign policy and notably the policy carried out by international institutions has little impact, so we shouldn’t expect any major results from such meetings,” said Foret.
And that is the big battle for Martin Schulz, the speaker of the European Parliament, who has taken up Sarkozy’s mantle- making this Union relevant, especially in a time of economic crisis.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation