The southern French city of Marseille is hosting a Union for the Mediterranean summit this weekend.
The speakers – from parliaments across the region – are discussing deepening ties.
One analyst said European politicians must find a way to cooperate with new emerging forces in North Africa and the Middle East.
“How can European MPs work with parties based on political Islam and how can these parties strike any agreements with their European counterparts? That’s the real question,” said François Foret, a political scientist from the ULB in Brussels.
The Union for the Mediterranean was the brainchild of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
Launched in 2008, all EU countries are members, along with 16 Mediterranean partners. They include Syria, the Palestinian Authority and Tunisia.
“Analysis shows that foreign policy and notably the policy carried out by international institutions has little impact, so we shouldn’t expect any major results from such meetings,” said Foret.
And that is the big battle for Martin Schulz, the speaker of the European Parliament, who has taken up Sarkozy’s mantle- making this Union relevant, especially in a time of economic crisis.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union