The southern French city of Marseille is hosting a Union for the Mediterranean summit this weekend.
The speakers – from parliaments across the region – are discussing deepening ties.
One analyst said European politicians must find a way to cooperate with new emerging forces in North Africa and the Middle East.
“How can European MPs work with parties based on political Islam and how can these parties strike any agreements with their European counterparts? That’s the real question,” said François Foret, a political scientist from the ULB in Brussels.
The Union for the Mediterranean was the brainchild of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
Launched in 2008, all EU countries are members, along with 16 Mediterranean partners. They include Syria, the Palestinian Authority and Tunisia.
“Analysis shows that foreign policy and notably the policy carried out by international institutions has little impact, so we shouldn’t expect any major results from such meetings,” said Foret.
And that is the big battle for Martin Schulz, the speaker of the European Parliament, who has taken up Sarkozy’s mantle- making this Union relevant, especially in a time of economic crisis.
- 1EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 2Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 3European ministers to discuss extra train security measures
- 4Austria tops the migrant league
- 5Germany and France call for stronger EU policy on migrant crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
latest europe news
Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
Austria tops the migrant league
Ukraine asks Europe for more help to support Minsk accords
EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country