The southern French city of Marseille is hosting a Union for the Mediterranean summit this weekend.
The speakers – from parliaments across the region – are discussing deepening ties.
One analyst said European politicians must find a way to cooperate with new emerging forces in North Africa and the Middle East.
“How can European MPs work with parties based on political Islam and how can these parties strike any agreements with their European counterparts? That’s the real question,” said François Foret, a political scientist from the ULB in Brussels.
The Union for the Mediterranean was the brainchild of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
Launched in 2008, all EU countries are members, along with 16 Mediterranean partners. They include Syria, the Palestinian Authority and Tunisia.
“Analysis shows that foreign policy and notably the policy carried out by international institutions has little impact, so we shouldn’t expect any major results from such meetings,” said Foret.
And that is the big battle for Martin Schulz, the speaker of the European Parliament, who has taken up Sarkozy’s mantle- making this Union relevant, especially in a time of economic crisis.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass