The southern French city of Marseille is hosting a Union for the Mediterranean summit this weekend.
The speakers – from parliaments across the region – are discussing deepening ties.
One analyst said European politicians must find a way to cooperate with new emerging forces in North Africa and the Middle East.
“How can European MPs work with parties based on political Islam and how can these parties strike any agreements with their European counterparts? That’s the real question,” said François Foret, a political scientist from the ULB in Brussels.
The Union for the Mediterranean was the brainchild of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
Launched in 2008, all EU countries are members, along with 16 Mediterranean partners. They include Syria, the Palestinian Authority and Tunisia.
“Analysis shows that foreign policy and notably the policy carried out by international institutions has little impact, so we shouldn’t expect any major results from such meetings,” said Foret.
And that is the big battle for Martin Schulz, the speaker of the European Parliament, who has taken up Sarkozy’s mantle- making this Union relevant, especially in a time of economic crisis.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 13‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 14Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 17Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 18Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 19London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 20Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris