The southern French city of Marseille is hosting a Union for the Mediterranean summit this weekend.
The speakers – from parliaments across the region – are discussing deepening ties.
One analyst said European politicians must find a way to cooperate with new emerging forces in North Africa and the Middle East.
“How can European MPs work with parties based on political Islam and how can these parties strike any agreements with their European counterparts? That’s the real question,” said François Foret, a political scientist from the ULB in Brussels.
The Union for the Mediterranean was the brainchild of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
Launched in 2008, all EU countries are members, along with 16 Mediterranean partners. They include Syria, the Palestinian Authority and Tunisia.
“Analysis shows that foreign policy and notably the policy carried out by international institutions has little impact, so we shouldn’t expect any major results from such meetings,” said Foret.
And that is the big battle for Martin Schulz, the speaker of the European Parliament, who has taken up Sarkozy’s mantle- making this Union relevant, especially in a time of economic crisis.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12International news | euronews, latest international news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 16Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news