Real Madrid put themselves in prime position for a record 24th Champions League semi-final appearance following a commanding 3-0 win over Galatasaray in the first leg of their quarter-final.
Cristiano Ronaldo continued his impressive goal-scoring record this edition just nine minutes into the game at the Santiago Bernabeu.
It was the Portugal international’s ninth goal of the campaign from nine matches.
The former Manchester United star strolled onto Mesut Ozil’s superb defence-splitting pass and chipped the outcoming Fernando Muslera to get Jose Mourinho’s men off to the ideal start.
Karim Benzema doubled the scoreline for the Spaniards on 29 minutes. Michael Essien picked out the France International at the far post where the striker controlled the ball before steering it past Muslera from close range.
Madrid put one foot in the semi-finals of Europe’s top club competition on the 73rd minute when Gonzalo Higuain latched onto a dangerous inswinging Xabi Alonso free-kick to head home Real’s third and final goal of the night and his first of this Champions League campaign.
It was left finely balanced in the other last eight match-up between competition debutants Malaga and German champions Borussia Dortmund who played out a goalless stalemate at the Rosaleda Stadium.
If anything, Malaga will now have the slight upper hand when the two teams square up in the all-important second leg in Germany next week.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > Sport
- 23:55 CET McIlroy plans Saturday practice round at Whistling Straits
- 20:26 CET Mihajlovic sets top-three target for Milan
- 20:12 CET Hosszu retains 200 metres IM title as records tumble
- 19:29 CET Juventus’s new signing Khedira ruled out for two months
- 18:01 CET American Danielson suspended after positive test
- 17:33 CET Leicester sign Frenchmen Kante and Benalouane
- 16:58 CET West Ham’s Valencia out for up to 12 weeks
- 16:13 CET Rio water quality on agenda as IOC leaves for Brazil