04/04/13 00:02 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Real Madrid put themselves in prime position for a record 24th Champions League semi-final appearance following a commanding 3-0 win over Galatasaray in the first leg of their quarter-final.
Cristiano Ronaldo continued his impressive goal-scoring record this edition just nine minutes into the game at the Santiago Bernabeu.
It was the Portugal international’s ninth goal of the campaign from nine matches.
The former Manchester United star strolled onto Mesut Ozil’s superb defence-splitting pass and chipped the outcoming Fernando Muslera to get Jose Mourinho’s men off to the ideal start.
Karim Benzema doubled the scoreline for the Spaniards on 29 minutes. Michael Essien picked out the France International at the far post where the striker controlled the ball before steering it past Muslera from close range.
Madrid put one foot in the semi-finals of Europe’s top club competition on the 73rd minute when Gonzalo Higuain latched onto a dangerous inswinging Xabi Alonso free-kick to head home Real’s third and final goal of the night and his first of this Champions League campaign.
It was left finely balanced in the other last eight match-up between competition debutants Malaga and German champions Borussia Dortmund who played out a goalless stalemate at the Rosaleda Stadium.
If anything, Malaga will now have the slight upper hand when the two teams square up in the all-important second leg in Germany next week.
- 1Paris 2024 unveil new Eiffel Tower-inspired Olympic bid logo
- 2Royal Shrovetide football: the oldest, largest and most chaotic footy match on earth
- 3Heavyweights hit the tatami at the Paris Judo Grand Slam
- 4Agbegnenou thrills the French on home tatami in judo’s Paris Grand Slam
- 5Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
Wires > Sport
- 15:26 CET Honda’s 30-metre strike sinks Genoa at soggy San Siro
- 15:24 CET Welbeck returns to score late Arsenal winner
- 14:06 CET West Indies stun India to win maiden U-19 World Cup
- 13:45 CET Loew rues bad Badstuber luck after latest injury
- 10:17 CET Belgian Broos takes over as Cameroon national coach
- 09:34 CET Venus vanquishes Doi to claim inaugural Taiwan title
- 06:44 CET Nadal slips to Thiem loss, Almagro finally beats Ferrer
- 05:41 CET Fritz blitz helps American teenager set Memphis milestone