Israeli troops shot dead two Palestinian teenagers in the occupied West Bank on Wednesday night.
Amer Nassar and Naji Belbasi 17 and 18-years-old respectively had been involved in the third day of unrest that followed the death of a prisoner in an Israeli jail.
The Israeli army said troops fired on Palestinians who threw fire bombs after dark at a guard post in the northern West Bank.
Tensions have risen sharply in the region since the death from cancer of 64-year-old Abu Hamdeya who was serving a life prison term for a planned attack on a Jerusalem café in 2002.
Palestinians accuse Israel of withholding care and failing to release him after diagnosing his illness was terminal.
Israel said it followed normal procedures.
The upsurge in violence comes just days before US Secretary of State John Kerry is due to visit Jerusalem and Ramallah in the hope of trying to make progress in reviving peace negotiations that broke down in 2010.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
US comedian Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial for sexual assault
Wires > News
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’
- 21:21 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 21:14 CET Two Colombian journalists missing after Spanish reporter vanishes