Meatloaf – one of the last great veterans of glam rock – is getting ready to hang up his air guitar.
His ‘Last At Bat’ tour is set to be the final chance fans will have to see the Rocky Horror Picture Show star on-stage, if not on-screen.
Determined to concentrate on what has proved a stuttering film career, the singer was adamant about what he would miss most from gigging:
“What you miss most is the performing of it, not the audience reaction, I would never say that, because I don’t come to a show to have the audience applaud me… I come for them.”
After 65 years, 18 concussions, a dodgy hip, one knee replacement and another shortly on the way, the physicality of touring has taken its toll.
And the effect of age on his live performances has not gone unnoticed – neither by critics nor by the singer himself:
“People expect perfection and I don’t blame them. They pay a lot of money for their tickets, but you just don’t recover as fast, because vocal cords are nothing but muscles; so if you go to the gym you work out really hard, you are sore and it takes a while to recover, and so the older you are the slower it is to recover.”
Since its release in 1977, Meatloaf’s ‘Bat Out Of Hell’ has sold more than 45 million copies and continues to shift around 200,000 copies every year, cementing its reputation as one of the greatest rock albums of all time.
The singer hopes his swansong set of arena gigs will prove equally legendary.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid