Greece’s prime minister has said the economy is showing signs of recovery, as the country’s creditors returned to Athens to check the government is meeting the terms of its bailout deal.
Antonis Samaras said the economic climate in Greece was finally changing after three years of bailouts and spending cuts.
I would be the last to sound the end of the alert. The situation in our country is still critical. But the mood is turning, albeit slowly. Basic economic indices are improving.’‘
Our goal is for 2013 to be the last year of the recession.”
The Greek economy has been in recession for six years.
Greece has the highest unemployment rate in the eurozone, at more than 26 percent.
Further reforms are required to secure two more payouts from the IMF and the EU this year, which amount to some nine billion euros.
They include a hike of an unpopular property tax and the dismissal of thousands more civil servants.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union