Greece’s prime minister has said the economy is showing signs of recovery, as the country’s creditors returned to Athens to check the government is meeting the terms of its bailout deal.
Antonis Samaras said the economic climate in Greece was finally changing after three years of bailouts and spending cuts.
I would be the last to sound the end of the alert. The situation in our country is still critical. But the mood is turning, albeit slowly. Basic economic indices are improving.’‘
Our goal is for 2013 to be the last year of the recession.”
The Greek economy has been in recession for six years.
Greece has the highest unemployment rate in the eurozone, at more than 26 percent.
Further reforms are required to secure two more payouts from the IMF and the EU this year, which amount to some nine billion euros.
They include a hike of an unpopular property tax and the dismissal of thousands more civil servants.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 11All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 12Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 15What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation