Greece’s prime minister has said the economy is showing signs of recovery, as the country’s creditors returned to Athens to check the government is meeting the terms of its bailout deal.
Antonis Samaras said the economic climate in Greece was finally changing after three years of bailouts and spending cuts.
I would be the last to sound the end of the alert. The situation in our country is still critical. But the mood is turning, albeit slowly. Basic economic indices are improving.’‘
Our goal is for 2013 to be the last year of the recession.”
The Greek economy has been in recession for six years.
Greece has the highest unemployment rate in the eurozone, at more than 26 percent.
Further reforms are required to secure two more payouts from the IMF and the EU this year, which amount to some nine billion euros.
They include a hike of an unpopular property tax and the dismissal of thousands more civil servants.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 17Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 18HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news