04/04/13 23:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Hundreds of people have taken to the streets again in France as the Senate begins a debate on adopting a gay marriage and adoption bill.
Despite such vocal opposition the measure is expected to pass, but critics have vowed to continue their protests for a referendum.
Pressure from critics of the bill has already paid off as access to such medical assistance has been withdrawn from the bill when it was backed by the lower house of parliament.
The National Assembly adopted the bill on Feb 12 in a 329-229 vote after 110 hours of debate. But the winning margin is expected to be narrower in the Senate where the Left is less dominant.
Support for adoption by gay couples has eroded since December when 48 percent of French voters backed it, as controversy has grown around the question of children’s role in the gay marriage bill.
The debate is due to conclude on April 13.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
US comedian Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial for sexual assault
IOM says fewer migrants dying on Mediterranean route to Europe
World Humanitarian Summit calls for shift of emphasis from response to prevention of refugee crisis
Wires > News
- 22:52 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’
- 21:21 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 21:14 CET Two Colombian journalists missing after Spanish reporter vanishes
- 21:11 CET Portuguese, Russian espionage suspects arrested in Rome
- 20:27 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …