China is mobilising resources across the country to combat a new strain of deadly bird flu.
So far 10 people have been confirmed infected by the H7N9 strain, all in the east of the country.
Three of them have died while the rest remain in a critical condition.
The virus does not appear to be transmitted from human-to-human but authorities in nearby Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan have all increased vigilance at airports.
Meanwhile Vietnam has banned imports of Chinese poultry.
Beijing says it will swiftly share information if there are any new details about H7N9, following earlier complaints it had been too slow to report the outbreak and fears of a SARS-like cover-up, as in 2003.
Flu experts around the world are studying samples of the virus to assess its human pandemic potential.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 4Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko arrives in Kyiv in prisoner swap with Russia
Mary Beard wins Princess of Asturias Award for Social Sciences
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko ‘has arrived in Kyiv’ in prisoner swap with Russia
Europe throws Greece a 10.3-billion-euro lifeline
Wires > News
- 14:40 CET Retired Burundian officer killed amid tension over presidency
- 14:39 CET Russia’s Putin pardons Ukrainian pilot, hands her over to Kiev
- 14:32 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 14:20 CET Radio Free Europe journalist freed from jail in Azerbaijan
- 14:17 CET Top Shi’ite cleric urges restraint in assault on Iraq’s Falluja
- 14:15 CET U.S.-backed Syrian militias not preparing assault on Islamic State…
- 14:09 CET Trump unlikely to be able to renegotiate climate deal – …
- 13:38 CET Egypt refuses entry to Cairo-based French journalist