Firefighters in Grozny have been battling a blaze that broke out in a brand new 45-storey building.
The construction, meant to highlight the regeneration of Chechnya after years of civil war, was uninhabited at the time. Officials believe the blaze was sparked by an electrical short circuit and dismissed any notion of foul play.
Chechnya strongman Ramzan Kadyrov sought to play down a massive fire that raged at a showcase complex symbolizing the mainly Muslim Russian region’s recovery from war, putting the incident down to God’s will.
On his official Instagram account, the Chechnya president accused some people of writing “any kind of rubbish” on the Internet about the consequences of the fire. “Allah be their judge”, he commented.
Irony of fate, the appartment complex includes an flat owned by French tax-dodger Gerard Depardieu. The Chechen President had presented the actor the apartment as he granted him “Chechen’s honorable resident” status after leaving France.
- 1Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
- 2Labour’s Sadiq Khan elected new Mayor of London, defeats Conservative Zac Goldsmith
- 3Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
- 4Turkey won’t change anti-terror laws for EU visa-free travel – Erdogan
- 5Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Latest world news
Brazil: Senate committee approves report recommending Rousseff’s impeachment
Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
Labour’s Sadiq Khan elected new Mayor of London, defeats Conservative Zac Goldsmith
Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Wires > News
- 01:05 CET Images show North Korea may be preparing 5th nuclear test – think…
- 01:04 CET EU’s Juncker sees refugee crisis at ‘turning point’
- 22:14 CET Turkish journalists jailed for five years, hours after courthouse…
- 20:38 CET Panama Papers source breaks silence, denies being a spy -…
- 20:27 CET China takes first step in $1 billion pledge to U.N. to fund peace…
- 20:25 CET Egypt gives Italy phone records of union chief – source
- 19:58 CET Russia says U.S.-Georgian military exercises could destabilise…
- 19:56 CET U.S. says it is committed to keeping Aleppo truce in place beyond…