U.S. F-22 fighter jets have been taking part in drills on a South Korean airbase. Against the backdrop of escalating tensions between North and South Korea, the United States also has a Navy destroyer positioned off the Korean peninsula, equipped for ballistic defence.
But the U.S. has downplayed North Korean threats of imminent war as sabre-rattling. At the White House, the Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters, “I would note that despite the harsh rhetoric we are hearing from Pyongyang, we are not seeing changes to the North Korean military posture, such as large-scale mobilisations and positioning of forces.
South Korea’s new president has vowed to retaliate in the event of an attack. The country’s rules of engagement have also been changed recently to enable a quicker response from local units, bypassing central command in Seoul.
Meanwhile, North Korea has appointed a new Prime Minister. Pak Pong-ju is a close confidant of the ruling dynasty and will serve to tighten Kim Jong-un’s grip on power.
Latest world news
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
Six days on, survivors are found in collapsed Kenya building
‘We need everything’, Ecuador quake survivor tells euronews
Air strike kills dozens in Syrian refugee camp
Playing for Palmyra – Russia holds a concert in the ruins
Wires > News
- 02:13 CET Obama, Mexican president discuss immigration, anti-drugs fight -…
- 01:59 CET Philippine fishermen favour strong president to end China’s…
- 01:34 CET Air strikes hit camp in Syria, US condemns Assad statement
- 00:31 CET Trump says Britain would be better off without EU – Fox News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House