An electrical fire at an Islamic school in Myanmar has killed 13 boys.
The blaze in Yangon, was caused by the overheating of a transformer under the staircase and the twelve-year-olds, who were sleeping in the attic, died due to smoke inhalation.
In March the country was the scene of sectarian violence between Buddhists and Muslims and the doors of the dormitory were locked and windows barred due to security concerns.
The Chief of Yangon Eastern District Police Force, Lieutenant Colonel Myint Aye said:
“There is no reason why this incident will cause more problems, we can’t afford to let that happen. We will have to prevent and clear it up even if something happens. Our Myanmar Police Force does not have any reason to hesitate to take action (in case of a problem).”
Though sectarian violence took place in many parts of Myanmar, Yangon, by far the largest city, escaped the troubles in March.
According to official records electrical faults and overheating are major causes of fires in Yangon.
The regional fire service said it was setting up a team to investigate the accident, with police, the electricity company and representatives from Muslim groups.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.