EU forces have started training Malian soldiers to quell an Islamist insurgency in the former French colony.
150 European instructors will train troops from Mali’s army at a base some 60 kilometres from the capital, Bamako.
France led an intervention in January to free the country’s north from Islamist fighters.
Mali’s foreign minister Tieman Coulibaly said the EU training would be key in allowing France to withdraw its troops from the country.
France can’t stay in Mali forever, he said.
EU officers expect to have the first-fully trained Malian troops in action by July of this year.
Islamist groups such as Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb seized control of northen Mali after a coup in March 2012.
They imposed a strict form of Islamic law in the area.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1EU recommends ‘unbundling Google’
- 2European Parliament rejects bid to sack Juncker Commission
- 3Denis Mukwege: Sakharov Prize winner and champion of human rights
- 4Europe’s sex slave shame: is enough being done to fight human trafficking?
- 5What did MEPs make of Pope Francis’ speech in the European Parliament?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass