EU forces have started training Malian soldiers to quell an Islamist insurgency in the former French colony.
150 European instructors will train troops from Mali’s army at a base some 60 kilometres from the capital, Bamako.
France led an intervention in January to free the country’s north from Islamist fighters.
Mali’s foreign minister Tieman Coulibaly said the EU training would be key in allowing France to withdraw its troops from the country.
France can’t stay in Mali forever, he said.
EU officers expect to have the first-fully trained Malian troops in action by July of this year.
Islamist groups such as Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb seized control of northen Mali after a coup in March 2012.
They imposed a strict form of Islamic law in the area.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy