01/04/13 09:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
South Korean President Park Geun-hye said on Monday there will be a strong and swift military response to any further North Korean provocation without regard to political consequences.
This comes after Pyongyang said it was entering a “state of war” with the South two days earlier.
It is angered by new UN sanctions which followed its February nuclear test, as well as the annual joint US-South Korea military drills which are currently under-way.
The US has now sent F-22 stealth fighter jets to to bolster the military exercises.
North Korea also threatened to close down the Kaesong Industrial Park, which serves as the last example of inter-Korean cooperation.
Kim Duk-soo, a South Korean who works in Kaersong, said:
“I’m quite worried but what can I do? I have to go there to work. I don’t know what they’re thinking in the North but how could they close it? They need to make money and the industrial park is their cash cow.”
His compatriot Cho Young-man added:
“Even if the complex gets closed down I hope our workers will be able to come back without being detained.”
Despite the increasingly aggressive posturing it is thought the complex will remain open as it serves as an important source of hard cash for the impoverished North.
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 4Who were the people behind the Paris bomb attacks?
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Wires > News
- 18:43 CET French, German ministers propose 10 billion euro fund for refugee…
- 18:34 CET Iran expects nuclear deal to be implemented in early January
- 18:32 CET Venezuelan opposition wants prisoners free, economy revamped after…
- 18:21 CET At least 11 dead in attack on Tunisia military bus
- 18:20 CET Turkey downs Russian warplane near Syria border, Putin warns of…
- 18:15 CET Pakistani man sentenced in U.S. to 40 years prison for al Qaeda…
- 17:31 CET Russia prepares reprisals against Ukraine over Crimea blackout
- 16:57 CET Egypt, Israel rebuff bid to trim Sinai peacekeepers – official