When Japan surrendered at the end of the second World War, the US Supreme Commander was tasked with deciding the fate of Emperor Hirohito.
Tommy Lee Jones plays General Douglas MacArthur who charges Matthew Fox as General Fellers with determining if the Emperor should face trial for war crimes.
Actor Tommy Lee Jones says he is a fan of the General: “I admired MacArthur greatly for understanding what it would take to come out of the war with a democratic, industrial ally on the Pacific Rim, as opposed to a vanquished, dead enemy.”
“If he had killed the emperor, society would have collapsed, the war would have gone on and on. The United States would not have been able to govern it from San Francisco,” believes Lee Jones.
Fox agrees that the United States was right to not pursue prosecution charges against Hirohito.
“The role that the emperor plays to the Japanese people or certainly played in 1945 is something that I think is practically impossible for a Westerner to understand. And as much as even (Gen. Bonner) Fellers intellectually understands it, can’t truly emotionally understand it as an American,” says Fox.
Emperor is on a limited release across the United States and is expected to roll out across Europe from next month.
- 114-year-old model reignites underage catwalk controversy
- 2The epic race to the South Pole on the operatic stage
- 3Postcards from Uzbekistan: The Ak-Saray Palace, Shakhrisabz
- 4Russia’s Pussy Riot mocks prosecutor general Yury Chaika in new video
- 5Coldplay in hot water for using Indian culture in video
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
latest cinema news
The Survivalist charts ruthlessness of a post-apocalyptic world
Honour killings are premeditated murders, says director of A Girl in the River
Colonia is more than just a history lesson – Gallenberger
Story of a reunited friendship, ‘Truman’ triumphs at Spain’s Goya Awards
Race to the Oscars: The runners and riders