When Japan surrendered at the end of the second World War, the US Supreme Commander was tasked with deciding the fate of Emperor Hirohito.
Tommy Lee Jones plays General Douglas MacArthur who charges Matthew Fox as General Fellers with determining if the Emperor should face trial for war crimes.
Actor Tommy Lee Jones says he is a fan of the General: “I admired MacArthur greatly for understanding what it would take to come out of the war with a democratic, industrial ally on the Pacific Rim, as opposed to a vanquished, dead enemy.”
“If he had killed the emperor, society would have collapsed, the war would have gone on and on. The United States would not have been able to govern it from San Francisco,” believes Lee Jones.
Fox agrees that the United States was right to not pursue prosecution charges against Hirohito.
“The role that the emperor plays to the Japanese people or certainly played in 1945 is something that I think is practically impossible for a Westerner to understand. And as much as even (Gen. Bonner) Fellers intellectually understands it, can’t truly emotionally understand it as an American,” says Fox.
Emperor is on a limited release across the United States and is expected to roll out across Europe from next month.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 4NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 5Latest News Bulletin
- 6At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 7Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 15Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 16Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 17What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 18[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 19Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 20Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke