When Japan surrendered at the end of the second World War, the US Supreme Commander was tasked with deciding the fate of Emperor Hirohito.
Tommy Lee Jones plays General Douglas MacArthur who charges Matthew Fox as General Fellers with determining if the Emperor should face trial for war crimes.
Actor Tommy Lee Jones says he is a fan of the General: “I admired MacArthur greatly for understanding what it would take to come out of the war with a democratic, industrial ally on the Pacific Rim, as opposed to a vanquished, dead enemy.”
“If he had killed the emperor, society would have collapsed, the war would have gone on and on. The United States would not have been able to govern it from San Francisco,” believes Lee Jones.
Fox agrees that the United States was right to not pursue prosecution charges against Hirohito.
“The role that the emperor plays to the Japanese people or certainly played in 1945 is something that I think is practically impossible for a Westerner to understand. And as much as even (Gen. Bonner) Fellers intellectually understands it, can’t truly emotionally understand it as an American,” says Fox.
Emperor is on a limited release across the United States and is expected to roll out across Europe from next month.
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary