Manchester United’s dream of a league and cup double ended after a Demba Ba strike gave Chelsea victory in the quarter-final replay of the English FA Cup.
The Blues, who scrapped back from 2-0 down against United at Old Trafford last month to earn the re-match, will now play Manchester City in the semi-final at Wembley on April 14. Chelsea could even record a double of their own, as they remain in contention for the Europa League title.
United were without the injured Wayne Rooney and started with Dutch marksman Robin Van Persie on the bench. That left the main goal-scoring responsibilities to Javier Hernandez, who was kept at bay by an inspired goalkeeping performance from Chelsea’s Petr Cech.
Chelsea’s Senegalese striker Ba broke the deadlock in the 49th minute, hooking in a delightfully floated pass from Spanish team-mate Juan Mata.
United manager Alex Ferguson threw on Van Persie and Ryan Giggs in the latter stages in an attempt to force a penalty shoot-out but Chelsea held on and are two wins away from an eighth FA Cup crown.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Chavas retains red as Stuyven wins crash-hit Vuelta stage
Bolt celebrates triple triumph at world championships
German sailor Heil infected by Rio’s polluted water
Vuelta a Espana: Lindeman wins stage seven as Froome loses time on title rivals
Judo World Championships: Emane claims third career world title
Wires > Sport
- 15:05 CET Liverpool’s Markovic joins Fenerbahce on season-long loan
- 15:03 CET Canada’s Drouin wins high jump gold in sudden-death
- 15:02 CET Jamaica take women’s 4×400 gold despite Felix heroics
- 15:01 CET Merritt anchors United States to 4×400m relay gold
- 14:15 CET Germany’s Molitor snatches gold with final throw
- 13:45 CET Ayana denies Dibaba with stunning 5,000m gold
- 13:37 CET Redding joins Pramac Ducati MotoGP team for 2016
- 13:02 CET Cruz Azul woes worsen with Crosas knee injury