Manchester United’s dream of a league and cup double ended after a Demba Ba strike gave Chelsea victory in the quarter-final replay of the English FA Cup.
The Blues, who scrapped back from 2-0 down against United at Old Trafford last month to earn the re-match, will now play Manchester City in the semi-final at Wembley on April 14. Chelsea could even record a double of their own, as they remain in contention for the Europa League title.
United were without the injured Wayne Rooney and started with Dutch marksman Robin Van Persie on the bench. That left the main goal-scoring responsibilities to Javier Hernandez, who was kept at bay by an inspired goalkeeping performance from Chelsea’s Petr Cech.
Chelsea’s Senegalese striker Ba broke the deadlock in the 49th minute, hooking in a delightfully floated pass from Spanish team-mate Juan Mata.
United manager Alex Ferguson threw on Van Persie and Ryan Giggs in the latter stages in an attempt to force a penalty shoot-out but Chelsea held on and are two wins away from an eighth FA Cup crown.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 11All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 12Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 15What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > Sport
- 09:30 CET Dane Olesen wins in Perth to end trophy drought
- 09:01 CET Rampant Real riding high after ‘Clasico’ triumph
- 08:35 CET Rabat seals Moto2 championship in Malaysia
- 06:49 CET Australian amateur Murdaca books U.S. Masters berth
- 02:01 CET Disappointed captain Clarke says lacking match practice
- 00:46 CET Wallaby Beale feels ‘vindicated’ after text message scandal
- 23:04 CET Warnock claims keeper was ‘almost assaulted’ against West Brom
- 21:45 CET Murray ousts fighting Ferrer to boost London bid