North Korea’s military threats against the South and the US have now turned into economic ones. The latest warns of a shut down of the Kaesong factory complex.
The industrial park stands as the last significant symbol of cooperation between Pyongyang and Seoul.
It is jointly operated but is more vital to the north’s economy as it provides 72 million euros a year in wages for the thousands of North Koreans who work there.
Threatening to shut Kaesong comes after a build up of tension on the Korean peninsular.
Leader Kim Jong-un has already said his country is entering a ‘state of war’ with the South and has readied rockets to strike at US targets.
Pyongyang is angry at a hike in sanctions imposed after it defied the west and conducted a third nuclear test in February.
But while the rhetoric has become more bellicose few believe Kim will risk an all-out war.
Analysts see it as a strategy to up the pressure on South Korea and the US to soften their policies towards the North.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 3Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Andy Murray joins Federer in not staying at Rio Olympic Village
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’