North Korea’s military threats against the South and the US have now turned into economic ones. The latest warns of a shut down of the Kaesong factory complex.
The industrial park stands as the last significant symbol of cooperation between Pyongyang and Seoul.
It is jointly operated but is more vital to the north’s economy as it provides 72 million euros a year in wages for the thousands of North Koreans who work there.
Threatening to shut Kaesong comes after a build up of tension on the Korean peninsular.
Leader Kim Jong-un has already said his country is entering a ‘state of war’ with the South and has readied rockets to strike at US targets.
Pyongyang is angry at a hike in sanctions imposed after it defied the west and conducted a third nuclear test in February.
But while the rhetoric has become more bellicose few believe Kim will risk an all-out war.
Analysts see it as a strategy to up the pressure on South Korea and the US to soften their policies towards the North.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 14:14 CET Air France shirt-ripper trial postponed
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…
- 13:21 CET Syrian refugee finds home among the beards of Budapest
- 13:13 CET Singapore charges six Bangladeshi men with terrorism financing
- 13:10 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash as search…