North Korea’s military threats against the South and the US have now turned into economic ones. The latest warns of a shut down of the Kaesong factory complex.
The industrial park stands as the last significant symbol of cooperation between Pyongyang and Seoul.
It is jointly operated but is more vital to the north’s economy as it provides 72 million euros a year in wages for the thousands of North Koreans who work there.
Threatening to shut Kaesong comes after a build up of tension on the Korean peninsular.
Leader Kim Jong-un has already said his country is entering a ‘state of war’ with the South and has readied rockets to strike at US targets.
Pyongyang is angry at a hike in sanctions imposed after it defied the west and conducted a third nuclear test in February.
But while the rhetoric has become more bellicose few believe Kim will risk an all-out war.
Analysts see it as a strategy to up the pressure on South Korea and the US to soften their policies towards the North.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 4Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 14Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
Latest world news
Protesters pelt Turkish embassy in Moscow, call it the “Islamic State Embassy”
WMO warns 2015 the hottest year on record
France mounts “unprecendented” security steps for global climate talks
Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
Bus bomber kills presidential guards in Tunisian capital
Wires > News
- 17:03 CET Footage shows trucks burning at Turkey-Syria border after apparent…
- 17:00 CET Tunisia says suicide bomber carried out bus attack claimed by…
- 16:55 CET December deal for British EU reform difficult- senior EU official
- 16:53 CET Nuclear exit unthinkable for climate conference host France
- 16:27 CET U.S. probe says Afghan hospital strike was tragic accident
- 16:06 CET Slovakia plans to raise police powers after Paris bloodshed
- 15:49 CET Russian deputies seek accountability for Armenia genocide denial
- 15:26 CET EU sounds alarm as internal barriers rise in refugee crisis