31/03/13 17:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Five children have been killed in a house fire in northern France. The blaze broke out on Saturday night in Saint-Quentin, around 130 kilometres northeast of Paris.
The children’s father, who escaped with serious burns, called on a neighbour to help rescue them but it was too late.
“When we managed to get into the house we couldn’t reach the first floor. We couldn’t do anything. We had to get out of the house,” said the neighbour.
“Save my children, save my children, that’s all he said to me.”
The father is understood to have recently separated from his wife. He was looking after the children – aged between two and 10 – over the Easter weekend.
The cause of the fire is being investigated, but officials believe it was an accident.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 4Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
Mary Beard wins Princess of Asturias Award for Social Sciences
France: CGT union calls for further strikes
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko ‘has arrived in Kyiv’ in prisoner swap with Russia
Wires > News
- 16:36 CET Italy navy says migrant boat flipped, five dead
- 16:32 CET Insight – ‘Living in Germany’: a testing time for Merkel’s migrants
- 16:29 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 16:15 CET Japan PM protests against Okinawa incident at summit with Obama
- 16:01 CET Mugabe supporters rally in Zimbabwe amid tensions over succession
- 15:59 CET Trump, aiming to offset money disadvantage, escalates Clinton…
- 15:33 CET Israeli rights group accuses military of whitewashing soldiers‘…
- 15:15 CET Merkel says more time needed on EU-Turkey visa deal