30/03/13 16:57 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
There are few in Syria who are not caught up in the conflict in some form or other. And age is no deciding factor.
Children are involved too, some with guns, others have different roles to play.
Nesma is well-known in Aleppo. At 12 years old, she is the voice of protest every Friday at demonstrations organised by the radical Al Nusrah group.
But Nesma’s contribution is not limited to the city centre. On the Ezzaa front line in the east of Aleppo, she joined members of the Free Syria Army, where there’s no escaping the war.
The Commander, Abu Ali introduces her to his family and once formalities are over, Nesma does what she does best – she sings for the rebels.
This young talisman is being used to raise morale, and it is not long before she’s dodging snipers and criss-crossing through shell-shattered back alleys, heading for the very front of the front line – the battle for Aleppo’s airport.
It was her first taste of the war at first hand, a war where some 12 year old girls wear their own specially-made bullet-proof vests.
Our correspondent in Aleppo, Pablo Herrera said: “Not all children in this country are playing with guns, or dreaming of going to the front like Nesma.
Luckily for the future of Syria, the war has not yet taken the innocence of the majority.”
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 5Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Turkey insists it seeks no fight with Russia on its Syrian border as Russia boosts air base defences
- 4Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 5Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Latest world news
Obama makes link between First Thanksgiving and America’s refugee origins
Nuclear energy off the table at climate change talks
Britain’s parliament debates Cameron’s call to air war in Syria
Kremlin gets tough on Turkish food imports
Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
Wires > News
- 16:22 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 16:16 CET Frescoes stolen from ancient tomb go on display in Italy
- 16:06 CET Broad smiles and enduring spirit at Holocaust survivors’ beauty…
- 16:04 CET Belgian police mount search linked to Paris attacks
- 15:51 CET One dead in shooting at Bangladeshi Shi’ite mosque
- 15:45 CET ‘Putin is not forever’, says daughter of slain opposition leader
- 15:43 CET Paris airport traffic down after attacks, security tighter
- 15:39 CET WHO records highest-ever number of new HIV cases in its European…