30/03/13 16:57 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
There are few in Syria who are not caught up in the conflict in some form or other. And age is no deciding factor.
Children are involved too, some with guns, others have different roles to play.
Nesma is well-known in Aleppo. At 12 years old, she is the voice of protest every Friday at demonstrations organised by the radical Al Nusrah group.
But Nesma’s contribution is not limited to the city centre. On the Ezzaa front line in the east of Aleppo, she joined members of the Free Syria Army, where there’s no escaping the war.
The Commander, Abu Ali introduces her to his family and once formalities are over, Nesma does what she does best – she sings for the rebels.
This young talisman is being used to raise morale, and it is not long before she’s dodging snipers and criss-crossing through shell-shattered back alleys, heading for the very front of the front line – the battle for Aleppo’s airport.
It was her first taste of the war at first hand, a war where some 12 year old girls wear their own specially-made bullet-proof vests.
Our correspondent in Aleppo, Pablo Herrera said: “Not all children in this country are playing with guns, or dreaming of going to the front like Nesma.
Luckily for the future of Syria, the war has not yet taken the innocence of the majority.”
- 1Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
- 4Germany: Pegida objects to Kinder using images of non-white children on its chocolate wrappers
- 5Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Prominent journalist freed in Azerbaijan
French nuclear workers vote to join strike against labour laws
Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
Overcrowded fishing boat capsizes off Italian coast, 500 migrants rescued
Wires > News
- 22:51 CET Guinean sailors arrested after clash with Sierra Leone navy
- 22:27 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 22:16 CET U.N. concerned by rising political tension in Congo ahead of vote
- 22:01 CET Obama administration officials warn lawmakers over Iran sanctions
- 21:38 CET Exclusive – EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote: sources
- 21:28 CET U.S. says new Israeli coalition raises ‘legitimate questions’
- 21:13 CET Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu -monitor…
- 21:10 CET French labour clash escalates, public fear impact on Euro 2016