Pope Francis led the Good Friday service in St Peter’s Basilica to mark Christ’s death on the cross.
Papal preacher Father Raniero Cantalamessa called on the Pope to lead the church back to simplicity.
As night fell he attended the Stations of the Cross procession around the 2,000 year old Colosseum,.
This year members of the Lebanese faithful attended the ritual and they urged peace in a region torn by “injustice and conflict.”
Pope Francis addressed the pilgrims and held out a hand to Muslims across the globe.
“We saw the beauty and the strength of the Christian communion from Lebanon and and the friendship of so many Muslim brothers: and many others,” he said.
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 11:30 CET Afghan forces ‘yet to regain control’ of symbolic southern district
- 11:29 CET Guatemala’s President Perez resigns amid graft scandal
- 11:21 CET Spain’s Rajoy says general election likely on December 20
- 11:10 CET Insight – Street violence in Kiev dims prospects for peace effort…
- 11:02 CET Family of Syrian toddler on Turkish beach tried to reach Canada -…
- 10:54 CET At least 14 killed as boat overloaded with migrants capsizes off…
- 10:31 CET Confusion and chaos as migrants pour into Budapest train station
- 10:04 CET Australia keen to join India, U.S. naval drills