Pope Francis led the Good Friday service in St Peter’s Basilica to mark Christ’s death on the cross.
Papal preacher Father Raniero Cantalamessa called on the Pope to lead the church back to simplicity.
As night fell he attended the Stations of the Cross procession around the 2,000 year old Colosseum,.
This year members of the Lebanese faithful attended the ritual and they urged peace in a region torn by “injustice and conflict.”
Pope Francis addressed the pilgrims and held out a hand to Muslims across the globe.
“We saw the beauty and the strength of the Christian communion from Lebanon and and the friendship of so many Muslim brothers: and many others,” he said.
Latest world news
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
Six days on, survivors are found in collapsed Kenya building
‘We need everything’, Ecuador quake survivor tells euronews
Air strike kills dozens in Syrian refugee camp
Playing for Palmyra – Russia holds a concert in the ruins
Wires > News
- 01:34 CET Air strikes hit camp in Syria, US condemns Assad statement
- 00:31 CET Trump says Britain would be better off without EU – Fox News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House
- 18:51 CET Italy, Germany agree on immigration policy, but not on financing
- 18:23 CET ‘No boots on the ground’ has its limits as U.S. Navy SEAL is…