30/03/13 11:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
North Korea has stepped up its angry rhetoric, saying it is entering a “state of war” with the South.
Pyongyang has been threatening to attack its neighbour and US military bases since Seoul and Washington started joint drills earlier this month.
“North Korea’s continuing threats are never acceptable, as they are harming peace and stability on the Korean peninsula,” said Kim Min-seok, South Korean Defence Ministry spokesman.
“Our recent military exercises and the US strategic bombers’ deployment on the peninsula were defensive in nature, against North Korea’s possible provocations.”
Tensions have been running high in the region after the North launched a long-range rocket – condemned by the UN – and carried out a third nuclear test.
Pyongyang has been keen show images of strength and unity. But few believe it will risk starting an all-out conflict.
The North and the South have technically been at war for six decades, under an armistice that ended their conflict in the 1950s.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
- 3Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 4Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 5Austria calls on FYRM to close borders to migrants
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Latest world news
Threat of deportation of baby girl to offshore migrant centre sparks Brisbane protest
Greek farmers camp outside parliament to protest tax reforms
Taiwan quake: rescue efforts over at site of toppled apartment block
Syria seizes village overlooking key rebel areas near Aleppo
‘It’s just not true’ – Russia rejects claims that it’s bombing civilians in Syria
Wires > News
- 17:51 CET Pope calls on Mexico’s president to fight corruption
- 17:16 CET Turkish forces shell Syrian air base captured by Kurds
- 16:53 CET Dangerous cold grips northeast U.S., could break Valentine’s Day…
- 16:09 CET Merkel urges patience on refugees ahead of crucial state elections
- 15:33 CET Havel’s architect Borek Sipek dies aged 66
- 15:28 CET Russia warns of new Cold War as east Ukraine violence surges
- 15:23 CET Oman leader Sultan Qaboos to travel to Germany for medical checks
- 15:01 CET Somalia’s al Shabaab says its bomber behind airline blast