30/03/13 11:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
North Korea has stepped up its angry rhetoric, saying it is entering a “state of war” with the South.
Pyongyang has been threatening to attack its neighbour and US military bases since Seoul and Washington started joint drills earlier this month.
“North Korea’s continuing threats are never acceptable, as they are harming peace and stability on the Korean peninsula,” said Kim Min-seok, South Korean Defence Ministry spokesman.
“Our recent military exercises and the US strategic bombers’ deployment on the peninsula were defensive in nature, against North Korea’s possible provocations.”
Tensions have been running high in the region after the North launched a long-range rocket – condemned by the UN – and carried out a third nuclear test.
Pyongyang has been keen show images of strength and unity. But few believe it will risk starting an all-out conflict.
The North and the South have technically been at war for six decades, under an armistice that ended their conflict in the 1950s.
- 1Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
- 4Germany: Pegida objects to Kinder using images of non-white children on its chocolate wrappers
- 5Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Prominent journalist freed in Azerbaijan
French nuclear workers vote to join strike against labour laws
Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
Overcrowded fishing boat capsizes off Italian coast, 500 migrants rescued
Wires > News
- 22:51 CET Guinean sailors arrested after clash with Sierra Leone navy
- 22:27 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 22:16 CET U.N. concerned by rising political tension in Congo ahead of vote
- 22:01 CET Obama administration officials warn lawmakers over Iran sanctions
- 21:38 CET Exclusive – EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote: sources
- 21:28 CET U.S. says new Israeli coalition raises ‘legitimate questions’
- 21:13 CET Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu -monitor…
- 21:10 CET French labour clash escalates, public fear impact on Euro 2016