30/03/13 11:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
North Korea has stepped up its angry rhetoric, saying it is entering a “state of war” with the South.
Pyongyang has been threatening to attack its neighbour and US military bases since Seoul and Washington started joint drills earlier this month.
“North Korea’s continuing threats are never acceptable, as they are harming peace and stability on the Korean peninsula,” said Kim Min-seok, South Korean Defence Ministry spokesman.
“Our recent military exercises and the US strategic bombers’ deployment on the peninsula were defensive in nature, against North Korea’s possible provocations.”
Tensions have been running high in the region after the North launched a long-range rocket – condemned by the UN – and carried out a third nuclear test.
Pyongyang has been keen show images of strength and unity. But few believe it will risk starting an all-out conflict.
The North and the South have technically been at war for six decades, under an armistice that ended their conflict in the 1950s.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Hollande and Obama step up pressure on climate change ahead of COP21
Latest world news
Fatal crane collapse in New York City
Taiwan: Multiple buildings collapse after a 6.4 magnitude earthquake
Catholic Saint Padre Pio’s remains begin journey to the Vatican
Gunmen shoot dead 1, injure 2, at Dublin boxing event
One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
Wires > News
- 22:29 CET Pope, Russian Orthodox patriarch to hold historic meeting in Cuba
- 22:26 CET Al Qaeda group claims kidnapping of Australians in Burkina Faso
- 22:25 CET Magnitude 6.4 earthquake hits southern Taiwan – USGS
- 21:59 CET Zika found in saliva; no Carnival kissing, Brazil warns pregnant…
- 20:36 CET Heavy clashes in southeast Libya, 30 killed
- 20:30 CET U.S., Britain eye letting UK spy agencies seek email, chat data…
- 20:03 CET Serbian minister dismissed over insult to journalist
- 19:30 CET Italian student killed in Egypt criticised Cairo government in…