30/03/13 15:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Italian President Giorgio Napolitano says he has no intention of resigning.
There had been speculation that he would quit before his term ends in May, in a bid to break the political stalemate created by recent elections.
“I will continue my term until the last day. I will not abandon my country and the difficulties that confront me,” said Napolitano.
“I still have confidence that we can overcome, in a responsible way, the challenges that Italy is facing.”
Efforts over the past week to form a government have failed, with centre-left leader Pier Luigi Bersani unable to win enough support from other parties.
Napolitano now says he will ask two groups of experts to come up with proposals for institutional and economic reforms, which can be supported by all sides.
Italians are craving some sort of stability, with their country in recession and unemployment at a record high.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 3Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 4The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 5Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Latest world news
New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
Greek police clear Idomeni camp
Faster internet speeds for Europe from Microsoft and Facebook
Russia says Savchenko exchange deal was not linked to Minsk accords
Donald Trump wins enough delegates to clinch Republican nomination
Wires > News
- 06:16 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 05:43 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 05:41 CET G7 vows growth, fudges FX, frets North Korea, Russia, China
- 04:44 CET Six Malaysians, eight Chinese arrested in A$200 million Australian…
- 04:37 CET Japan to cut emphasis on nuclear in next energy plan – sources
- 04:36 CET Thai queen undergoes medical tests, palace says in rare statement
- 04:12 CET After sea spat, China pledges deeper defence ties with Indonesia
- 04:08 CET El Salvador Congress approves $152 million bond issue to tackle…