There will be no disco action in some parts of Germany on Saturday night, with a traditional Easter dancing ban in place.
It is down to individual regions to decide how long they enforce it.
But some club owners think the restrictions should be scrapped altogether.
“I’m a Christian myself and can’t understand why one cannot dance on Easter Saturday. In my view, the law is outdated;” said Felix Graedler, a nightclub owner in Heidelberg.
Those who support the ban say people should respect the importance of Easter, including Good Friday.
“I don’t think anyone gives anything away by marking Good Friday in a quiet way. It’s about respecting those who attribute a religious sense to the day and asking themselves what the meaning of Good Friday is,” said Wolfgang Huber, a former Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD) chairman.
Protests to overturn the dancing ban have grown in recent years, but without success.
Those caught breaking restrictions face being fined.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 11:30 CET In Kenya’s Rift Valley, blood and bulls mark gateway to manhood
- 11:21 CET Scant hope of Syria peace breakthrough as Russia pounds rebels
- 11:10 CET EU executive to recommend suspending third of migrant relocation…
- 10:57 CET Fighting kills at least 500 in Aleppo province since Syrian army…
- 10:52 CET North Korea executes army chief of staff – South Korean media
- 10:49 CET Bulgaria nominates head of UNESCO for top U.N. post
- 10:45 CET More than 100 arrested in Sicilian anti-Mafia operation
- 10:39 CET Greek prime minister says ready to talk to farmers over pensions