There will be no disco action in some parts of Germany on Saturday night, with a traditional Easter dancing ban in place.
It is down to individual regions to decide how long they enforce it.
But some club owners think the restrictions should be scrapped altogether.
“I’m a Christian myself and can’t understand why one cannot dance on Easter Saturday. In my view, the law is outdated;” said Felix Graedler, a nightclub owner in Heidelberg.
Those who support the ban say people should respect the importance of Easter, including Good Friday.
“I don’t think anyone gives anything away by marking Good Friday in a quiet way. It’s about respecting those who attribute a religious sense to the day and asking themselves what the meaning of Good Friday is,” said Wolfgang Huber, a former Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD) chairman.
Protests to overturn the dancing ban have grown in recent years, but without success.
Those caught breaking restrictions face being fined.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 3Russian marine Alexander Pozynich buried
- 4Still no power in Crimea as protesters block repairs to pylons
- 5Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
Pope Francis praises Ugandan authorities for taking in refugees
Climate change campaigners pile pressure on world leaders ahead of Paris conference
Switzerland: HSBC whistleblower jailed for five years
UK child sex abuse inquiry to investigate ‘people of prominence’
Wires > News
- 08:58 CET Suicide bomber targets Afghan election official in Kabul – police
- 08:52 CET Philippines shopping for arms to beef up maritime security
- 08:36 CET Three killed, nine injured in attack on Colorado abortion clinic
- 06:56 CET Colombian president condemns killing of Venezuelan activist
- 06:53 CET Eight corpses found in Mexico’s Oaxaca state
- 00:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’
- 23:11 CET Sweden suspends flights to northern Iraq over security concerns
- 22:33 CET Insight – Voice of Paris attacks; Did he have bigger role?