There will be no disco action in some parts of Germany on Saturday night, with a traditional Easter dancing ban in place.
It is down to individual regions to decide how long they enforce it.
But some club owners think the restrictions should be scrapped altogether.
“I’m a Christian myself and can’t understand why one cannot dance on Easter Saturday. In my view, the law is outdated;” said Felix Graedler, a nightclub owner in Heidelberg.
Those who support the ban say people should respect the importance of Easter, including Good Friday.
“I don’t think anyone gives anything away by marking Good Friday in a quiet way. It’s about respecting those who attribute a religious sense to the day and asking themselves what the meaning of Good Friday is,” said Wolfgang Huber, a former Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD) chairman.
Protests to overturn the dancing ban have grown in recent years, but without success.
Those caught breaking restrictions face being fined.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq