In Kiev, a group of senior citizens have found a form of underground entertainment that has sparked their own kind of Saturday Night Fever.
With no funds to hire a dance hall for socialising, Kiev’s mayor stepped in and gave them a venue with a difference.
For the last 20 years or so they have had a unique platform to show off their dance moves.
It is a subway, where every Saturday night around 200 pensioners in traditional Ukrainian costume can dance and share memories of past times.
They have become well-known in Kiev, and amongst each other.
Natalya Stolyarchuk and Mykola Milevsky are just one couple who became an item doing the ‘Kiev Quickstep.’
She explained that she was sad and bored so she went once to dance. Towards the end, she said, Mykola asked her to dance. They liked the look of each other, and fell in love at first sight. They have been together ever since, she said.
And he added, they have everything in common.
- 1Flight MH17: was shot down by a BUK missile fired from Eastern Ukraine – Dutch report
- 2Netanyahu vows ‘knife terror’ won’t beat Israel as stabbings multiply
- 3Germany: PEGIDA slams Merkel over refugee influx
- 4YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
- 5ISIL training children to kill
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 23:06 CET Exclusive – India battles big pharma over cough syrup abuse…
- 23:01 CET Exclusive – Jeb Bush says Putin’s Russia should face consequences…
- 22:47 CET Islamic State urges jihad against Russians, Americans – audio
- 22:40 CET Britain and China to hail ‘golden’ ties during Xi visit
- 22:36 CET Dozens of Tunisians freed in Libya a day after being kidnapped
- 22:14 CET Portugal centre-right, Socialists fail to reach deal on government
- 22:01 CET Most U.S. voters not aware of Democratic debate – Reuters/Ipsos…
- 21:58 CET ICC prosecutor to investigate Russia, Georgia over 2008 conflict