In Kiev, a group of senior citizens have found a form of underground entertainment that has sparked their own kind of Saturday Night Fever.
With no funds to hire a dance hall for socialising, Kiev’s mayor stepped in and gave them a venue with a difference.
For the last 20 years or so they have had a unique platform to show off their dance moves.
It is a subway, where every Saturday night around 200 pensioners in traditional Ukrainian costume can dance and share memories of past times.
They have become well-known in Kiev, and amongst each other.
Natalya Stolyarchuk and Mykola Milevsky are just one couple who became an item doing the ‘Kiev Quickstep.’
She explained that she was sad and bored so she went once to dance. Towards the end, she said, Mykola asked her to dance. They liked the look of each other, and fell in love at first sight. They have been together ever since, she said.
And he added, they have everything in common.
- 1Aylan Kurdi: the boy whose picture broke the world’s heart
- 2Father of Syrian boy washed up on Turkish beach recalls boat horror
- 3Egyptian billionaire offers to buy Mediterranean island to house refugees
- 4Artist pays tribute to Aylan Kurdi and Good Samaritan
- 5Kentucky official jailed for refusing to recognise gay marriages
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Iran and Yemen top agenda as Saudi king meets Obama
Day of chaos hits Hungary as migrants march to Austria
Central European leaders underline opposition to migrant quotas
Five injured as fire tears through refugee shelter in Germany
Austrian lorry: 71 victims suffocated almost immediately say police
Wires > News
- 19:53 CET U.N.-backed anti-graft body to probe ex-Guatemala leader’s assets
- 19:39 CET Iranian official says there are ways to free U.S. journalist – NPR
- 19:37 CET At least 10 killed in armed attacks in Tajikistan, U.S. embassy…
- 19:34 CET U.S., allies conduct 21 air strikes against Islamic State – …
- 19:05 CET After Iran deal, EU bids to restart Israel-Palestinian talks
- 18:36 CET Central African Republic warlords must face justice – U.N. rights…
- 18:28 CET Refugee girl who Merkel made cry has residency permit extended
- 18:25 CET Italy’s Renzi completes labour reform, growth needed for jobs