29/03/13 23:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Former South African president and anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela is likely to spend the weekend in hospital although he is said to be making progress.
This being the time of the Christian Easter festival, South Africans are being asked to remember Mandela in their prayers. But they are grateful for any updates on his condition and his response to treatment for a recurring lung infection.
“Dada (referring to Nelson Mandela) is doing well. He is responding very well to treatment and we thank the media for at least giving us space and respecting the privacy of the family. We are very very grateful to you and the rest of the country,” said Winnie Mandela, former wife of Nelson Mandela.
Mandela is being cared for in an undisclosed hospital in Pretoria – it’s his third hospital stay in four months and positive news of the man considered the father of the nation is a relief.
“It’s great news for the country,” said one local resident. “ I mean he is our biggest brand, our biggest statesman. We wouldn’t want to loose him now. I believe there is still a lot that he has to witness that South Africa can achieve.”
Although the 94-year-old has been out of public view for several years now this latest bout of ill health has prompted good will messages from his admirers around the world.
Latest world news
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Dozens killed in ISIL suicide blasts in southern Iraq
Syria: Russia ‘seeks truce for Aleppo’ after wave of deadly bombings
Wires > News
- 21:11 CET Connecticut governor honored for welcoming Syrian refugees
- 21:07 CET Cash-flush California GOP allows chairman to seek third term
- 20:47 CET ‘It’s over,’ Trump says, eyeing victory in Indiana
- 20:45 CET Rousseff says opponents plotting to water down Brazil labor laws
- 20:39 CET Bergdahl defence can access classified information – ruling
- 20:13 CET Hooded youths clash with police in Paris over labour law
- 20:10 CET France, U.S. target Islamic State with two strikes in Iraq
- 19:08 CET German official denies report on foreign policy shift on Israel