29/03/13 23:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Former South African president and anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela is likely to spend the weekend in hospital although he is said to be making progress.
This being the time of the Christian Easter festival, South Africans are being asked to remember Mandela in their prayers. But they are grateful for any updates on his condition and his response to treatment for a recurring lung infection.
“Dada (referring to Nelson Mandela) is doing well. He is responding very well to treatment and we thank the media for at least giving us space and respecting the privacy of the family. We are very very grateful to you and the rest of the country,” said Winnie Mandela, former wife of Nelson Mandela.
Mandela is being cared for in an undisclosed hospital in Pretoria – it’s his third hospital stay in four months and positive news of the man considered the father of the nation is a relief.
“It’s great news for the country,” said one local resident. “ I mean he is our biggest brand, our biggest statesman. We wouldn’t want to loose him now. I believe there is still a lot that he has to witness that South Africa can achieve.”
Although the 94-year-old has been out of public view for several years now this latest bout of ill health has prompted good will messages from his admirers around the world.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 09:29 CET North Korea says to freeze assets of South Korean firms at Kaesong
- 09:27 CET Greek navy helicopter crashes in Aegean, three feared dead
- 09:20 CET Exclusive – Australia directed officials how to address Nauru…
- 09:11 CET Dozens face riot charges over Hong Kong Lunar New Year violence
- 08:57 CET Thailand’s ‘sea gypsies’ fight for access to ancestral shrines
- 08:54 CET Bangladesh upholds death sentences over 2004 attack on British…
- 08:43 CET Angola says 37 dead in yellow fever outbreak
- 07:59 CET Australian looks set for climate sceptic deputy PM