Former South African president and anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela is likely to spend the weekend in hospital although he is said to be making progress.
This being the time of the Christian Easter festival, South Africans are being asked to remember Mandela in their prayers. But they are grateful for any updates on his condition and his response to treatment for a recurring lung infection.
“Dada (referring to Nelson Mandela) is doing well. He is responding very well to treatment and we thank the media for at least giving us space and respecting the privacy of the family. We are very very grateful to you and the rest of the country,” said Winnie Mandela, former wife of Nelson Mandela.
Mandela is being cared for in an undisclosed hospital in Pretoria – it’s his third hospital stay in four months and positive news of the man considered the father of the nation is a relief.
“It’s great news for the country,” said one local resident. “ I mean he is our biggest brand, our biggest statesman. We wouldn’t want to loose him now. I believe there is still a lot that he has to witness that South Africa can achieve.”
Although the 94-year-old has been out of public view for several years now this latest bout of ill health has prompted good will messages from his admirers around the world.
- 1French Riviera declared ‘disaster zone’ after deadly flash floods
- 2Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 3Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 4Porn pioneers the 3D, 360° virtual reality viewing experience
- 5Conservative coalition on course for another win in Portuguese elections
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 2Russia launches more air strikes in Syria
- 3Several reported dead and missing after severe floods in southern France
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Russian air strike hits terrorist training camp in Syria, say defence officials
- 1NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 2Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 3Poland: thousands turn out for anti-immigration protests
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 10Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 11Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 12Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 20:59 CET German interior minister calls for limit to number of refugees
- 20:53 CET Libya’s elected parliament votes to extend own mandate – lawmaker
- 20:46 CET Greece’s Tsipras pleads for debt relief with austere budget
- 20:41 CET Pilot falls ill on American flight from Phoenix to Boston, dies
- 20:34 CET NATO denounces Russian incursion into Turkish air space
- 20:29 CET Canada election shifts attention to trade deal as race narrows
- 19:18 CET EU states might get budget relief on refugee costs – officials
- 19:15 CET Erdogan presses EU to act in Syria over migrant crisis