He may be in only his third year in office, but North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has already shown he is willing to match and even out-do the provocative rhetoric of his father, Kim Jong-il. Already the younger Kim has ordered nuclear missile tests and threatened to strike US military bases.
But it turns out he is just as prolific as his father when it comes to looking at things.
Kim Jong-il’s penchant for visually examining objects came to the internet’s attention in 2010, with the launch of a Tumblr blog entitled, logically, “Kim Jong-il looking at things.”
The blog showcases hundreds of photos of Kim Jong-il, yes you’ve guessed it, looking at things. From Tupperware and socks to maps and military equipment, there are few objects that escaped the attention of the man who led North Korea between 1994 and 2011.
The pictures were provided by North Korea’s main propaganda unit, the state-run Central News Agency, presumably in order to show just how informed the Dear Leader was about, well, everything in his country. Such was the popularity of looking at Kim Jong-il looking at things, the blog spawned a hardback book and of course had its own Facebook page, liked by more than 60,000 people.
After his father’s death in December 2011, Kim Jong-un inherited the role of leader and looker-at-things-in-chief and has shown great promise when it comes to giving things a thorough glance-over. He may lack experience, and is yet to adopt the sunglasses that gave his father a certain ‘cool’ look when he did his looking but he, too, has a Tumblr blog dedicated to his attentive regard, which has just over 5,000 facebook fans of its own.
Here is a selection of the things Kim Jong-un has been looking at:
- 1Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 2New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 3Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 4Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 5Eurostar suffers severe delays as migrants attempt to block Channel Tunnel
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 18:58 CET Migrants cling to Hungarian train, lawmakers debate sealing border
- 18:48 CET U.N. to set up inspection regime to ease Yemen humanitarian plight
- 18:43 CET Father of drowned Syrian toddlers prepares to take bodies home
- 18:41 CET Guatemala’s president quits, faces charges in graft scandal
- 18:39 CET Iran’s Khamenei backs parliamentary vote on nuclear deal with…
- 18:37 CET Double suicide bombing in north Cameroon kills 19, wounds 143
- 17:51 CET France offers new farm aid as 1,500 tractors hit Paris streets
- 17:39 CET France says wing part found on Reunion island definitely from MH370