There has been a major rescue effort in the Baltic Sea to save more than 220 people who were stranded on ice floes that had drifted away from the Latvian coast.
Most of those rescued were fishing on the ice, which is a popular pastime in Baltic countries.
Spring sunshine had thinned the ice considerably.
One rescued fisherman described how he ran for 10 minutes to reach the main group, otherwise he said he could have floated anywhere.
Strong winds had blown the ice floes up to four kilometres from the shore into the Gulf of Riga.
Latvia’s Fire and Rescue service scrambled boats and helicopters for the operation that lasted more than three hours.
Several people drown every winter in the Baltic while ice-fishing and many more are rescued when the ice breaks.
In this latest mass rescue only one person was reported to have needed medical attention.
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
- 3‘It’s just not true’ – Russia rejects claims that it’s bombing civilians in Syria
- 4Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
- 5Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Latest world news
Syria ceasefire more likely to fail than succeed, says Russian FM
Threat of deportation of baby girl to offshore migrant centre sparks Brisbane protest
Greek farmers camp outside parliament to protest tax reforms
Taiwan quake: rescue efforts over at site of toppled apartment block
Syria seizes village overlooking key rebel areas near Aleppo
Wires > News
- 22:17 CET Congo Republic ex-army chief to run in March presidential polls
- 20:19 CET Turkish military shelled Kurdish militia in Syria – government…
- 20:03 CET Pope presses Mexico president, bishops on corruption and drugs
- 19:30 CET Afghan Taliban use captured Humvees in suicide attack
- 19:06 CET Irish government parties’ support falls two weeks from election -…
- 19:04 CET Paris Pinacotheque museum closes as visitor numbers drop post…
- 18:51 CET Italian student showed signs of electrocution – Egypt forensic…
- 18:48 CET Outgoing U.S. commander says mission in Afghanistan not changing