29/03/13 12:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Cypriot banking system may be in turmoil, but customers appear to be remaining calm in Nicosia.
The island’s banks reopened on Thursday after an almost two-week shutdown. But cash withdrawals are being capped, to prevent people draining their accounts.
President Nicos Anastasiades said on Friday that the financial crisis had been “contained” in the wake of a tough EU bailout deal. He also said that Cyprus has no intention of leaving the European single currency.
But bank depositors are being forced to bear some of the cost of the rescue plan.
“I believe that on the first of April the Troika will come and tell us that this was a joke – and then everything will be fine,” said one man in Nicosia.
Anastasiades has also hit out at partners in the 17-nation currency bloc over the bailout deal. He accused them of making “unprecedented demands”.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 3Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 01:26 CET Cuba scrambles to keep pace with U.S.-fueled tourism boom
- 01:25 CET Ageing Thailand takes toll on indebted households
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city