29/03/13 12:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Cypriot banking system may be in turmoil, but customers appear to be remaining calm in Nicosia.
The island’s banks reopened on Thursday after an almost two-week shutdown. But cash withdrawals are being capped, to prevent people draining their accounts.
President Nicos Anastasiades said on Friday that the financial crisis had been “contained” in the wake of a tough EU bailout deal. He also said that Cyprus has no intention of leaving the European single currency.
But bank depositors are being forced to bear some of the cost of the rescue plan.
“I believe that on the first of April the Troika will come and tell us that this was a joke – and then everything will be fine,” said one man in Nicosia.
Anastasiades has also hit out at partners in the 17-nation currency bloc over the bailout deal. He accused them of making “unprecedented demands”.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 16:02 CET Ukraine files defence in $3 billion Russia Eurobond case
- 15:54 CET North Korea threatens retaliation after South Korean warning shots
- 15:42 CET Ugandan court sentences five men to life for 2010 bombings that…
- 14:14 CET Air France shirt-ripper trial postponed
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…