For the last two years Fukushima has been a strictly no-go area, but not any more.
Google Street View has published the first video images of the buildings and roads left devastated by the March 2011 tsunami and consequent nuclear meltdown in the town of Namie, situated at the heart of the Fukushima area.
Filming by Google’s equipped vehicles began after an invitation from Namie’s mayor, Tamotsu Baba, who said he feared the world was forgetting about Fukushima and that is why he is in favour of taking videos of the 12-mile evacuation zone.
Since the nuclear accident, around 160,000 people, nuclear and tsunami refuges from nearby towns and villages, fled the territory and are still living in temporary housing. Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe, who visited Namie last weekend, has stated that the construction of houses for those people will be finished soon.
Irradiated areas close to the site will not be inhabited for several decades. As a result, older residents have to face the fact that they will die before having the chance to go back to their houses.
Through Google’s Street View service, users can have a 360-degree virtual tour of the town of Namie, a landscape still dominated by damaged buildings and streets filled with destroyed cars and boats swept inland by the enormous waves of the tsunami.
- 1Explainer: why the blue moon will not be blue
- 2Ukraine’s Constitutional Court approves self-rule plan for troubled east
- 3Mistral: Deal or no deal between France and Russia?
- 4‘Despot’ Vladimir Putin ‘ordered’ Litvinenko murder, inquiry hears
- 5Revenge calls as Palestinian boy dies in ‘Jewish settler’ arson attack
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Missing MH370: suspected wing debris arrives in France for analysis
Bin Laden family jet crashes in England
Fears of upsurge in violence following death of Palestinian infant
Ebola vaccine trial shows 100% effectiveness in Guinea
Germany suspends treason investigation into news website
Wires > News
- 08:24 CET Plane debris arrives in France for Malaysia crash investigation
- 07:06 CET On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- 04:47 CET Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive ‘Chapo‘…
- 04:09 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 02:55 CET Recovered plane debris flown to France for checks
- 01:40 CET Iraq’s Kurdistan laments caught in middle of Turkey-PKK fight
- 01:18 CET Eleven Colombian military personnel killed in plane crash
- 22:22 CET Mexican president’s approval ratings hit after drug kingpin’s…