28/03/13 22:03 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The leader of Italy’s centre-left Democratic Party, Pier Luigi Bersani has admitted defeat in trying to form a government, and has told the country’s president, Giorgio Napolitano, that he does not have enough support.
Napolitano will now step in and call in party leaders on Friday for consultations.
“I have informed the president of the work I have done over the past few days, which has not concluded with any clear result. I have informed him of the problems and obstructions which I found unacceptable. In this light the president has decided to go ahead himself to immediately sound out the relevant parties and check for himself,” said Bersani.
Starting with former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, other leaders were being asked on Friday if they want to try.
After meeting President Giorgio Napolitano, Berlusconi said he was ready to support a coalition government with centre-left leader Pier Luigi Bersani but rejected another technocrat administration like the outgoing one led by Mario Monti.
“Our position has not changed, we expressed it with absolute clarity to the president,” the centre-right leader said.
He said he believed there was room for agreement on a series of measures to address Italy’s economic crisis but insisted that any government must be made up of political parties “given the tragic experience” of the Monti government.
Political wild card Bepe Grillo has said Italy could get by without a government, with parliament managing things.
Even Bersani may get another chance. Or the president may nominate a prime minister to try and obtain a consensus around policies of his choosing, like electoral reform and the nomination of a new president, so Italy could have an interim administration pending fresh elections.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 3Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 4How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 5Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Kenya: Pope Francis visits slum, calls for more to be done about poverty
French President François Hollande leads tribute to Paris terror victims
USA: estimates suggest early Black Friday sales not up to the mark
Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
US: man arrested after jumping White House fence
Wires > News
- 12:34 CET Poland says pirates attacked Polish ship off Nigeria coast
- 12:33 CET Governments take rose-tinted view of climate projections before…
- 12:31 CET Kenya backs down from threat to leave ICC over Vice-President
- 11:33 CET Putin seeks map of forces not to bomb in Syria – France
- 11:30 CET Kremlin says Turkey’s Erdogan requests meeting with Putin in Paris
- 11:23 CET Russia-Ukraine row over Crimea escalates as Moscow cuts coal to…
- 11:14 CET Dijsselbloem – Refugee crisis could trigger ‘mini-Schengen’
- 10:30 CET Beijing to toughen car emission standards by 2017 to cut pollution