An earthquake measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale has struck Taiwan.
There are reports of a 72-year-old woman being killed by a collapsed temple wall. At least 19 people were injured.
The island experiences several minor earthquakes so evacuation procedures are well-practiced.
Buildings are also constructed to withstand the tremors so damage was limited.
The epicentre of the tremor is the predominantly rural Nantou, the country’s second largest province. The province is 250 kilometres south of the capital Taipei.
Nantou is near the epicenter of a magnitude 7.6 earthquake that killed more than 2,300 people in 1999.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 4Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 5More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
Mary Beard wins Princess of Asturias Award for Social Sciences
Road collapse plunges parked cars into Florence underwater pipe
Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko ‘has arrived in Kyiv’ in prisoner swap with Russia
Europe throws Greece a 10.3-billion-euro lifeline
Wires > News
- 15:33 CET Israeli rights group accuses military of whitewashing soldiers‘…
- 15:15 CET Merkel says more time needed on EU-Turkey visa deal
- 15:12 CET Turkey’s nationalist MHP leader says to re-run for leadership at…
- 14:58 CET U.S. leads 17 strikes against Islamic State – statement
- 14:50 CET Clearout of Greek refugee camp should reopen economic artery
- 14:47 CET Moscow frees Ukraine pilot in swap for Russians held in conflict
- 14:40 CET Retired Burundian officer killed amid tension over presidency
- 14:32 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes