26/03/13 10:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The US has condemned North Korea’s threat of military action against it, warning it’s ready for “any contingency”.
Pentagon spokesperson George Little told reporters: “We’re concerned about any threat raised by the North Koreans…They need to stop threatening peace on the peninsula, that doesn’t help anyone…and we stand ready to respond to any contingency.”
The reaction comes in response to North Korea ordering its artillery to be ‘combat ready’ in preparation to strike US targets. The Korea State News Agency (KSNA) published the announcement, which was issued by the military’s ‘top command’.
According to the order, the North Korean military will be readying field artillery and strategic rocket units to strike US military bases in mainland United States – and also Hawaii and Guam.
The order marks the latest escalation of Pyongyang’s bellicose rhetoric. It follows the regime’s third nuclear test on February 12, which led to increased United Nations sanctions.
North Korea is not thought to have the capability to strike the United States mainland – although US bases in the Pacific area are within range of its missiles.
South Korea’s defence ministry said it had detected no signs of unusual activity by the North’s military, but will continue to monitor the situation.
The South and the US military are conducting drills until the end of April, which they have stressed are strictly defensive in nature.
China responded that it hopes all sides on the Korean peninsula can exercise restraint. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei made the comments to reporters at a daily briefing.
- 1Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 2Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 3Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 4Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 5How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
World Bank looks for backers for $16B plan for Africa to adapt to climate change
COP21: The Heat is On, Leaders Due Monday, Protests Banned
Russian marine Alexander Pozynich buried
Nigeria: Suicide attack on Shi’ite pilgrims ‘kills 21’
Turkey detains journalists who allege army lorries carried weapons for ISIL
Wires > News
- 19:47 CET U.S.‘s Biden, Italy’s Renzi discuss fight against Islamic State -…
- 19:36 CET Ringleader of Paris attacks planned more strikes, mocked open…
- 19:09 CET Refugee crisis resurrects German anti-immigration party
- 19:02 CET Carbon prices – work in progress, not panacea, for rich and poor
- 18:55 CET Burundi’s top opposition leader Rwasa says fears for his life
- 18:54 CET EU, Turkey driving hard bargain before migration summit
- 18:50 CET Two Palestinians ram cars into Israeli soldiers, shot dead
- 18:39 CET Venezuela lashes U.S., opposition amid blame over activist’s…