The US has condemned North Korea’s threat of military action against it, warning it’s ready for “any contingency”.
Pentagon spokesperson George Little told reporters: “We’re concerned about any threat raised by the North Koreans…They need to stop threatening peace on the peninsula, that doesn’t help anyone…and we stand ready to respond to any contingency.”
The reaction comes in response to North Korea ordering its artillery to be ‘combat ready’ in preparation to strike US targets. The Korea State News Agency (KSNA) published the announcement, which was issued by the military’s ‘top command’.
According to the order, the North Korean military will be readying field artillery and strategic rocket units to strike US military bases in mainland United States – and also Hawaii and Guam.
The order marks the latest escalation of Pyongyang’s bellicose rhetoric. It follows the regime’s third nuclear test on February 12, which led to increased United Nations sanctions.
North Korea is not thought to have the capability to strike the United States mainland – although US bases in the Pacific area are within range of its missiles.
South Korea’s defence ministry said it had detected no signs of unusual activity by the North’s military, but will continue to monitor the situation.
The South and the US military are conducting drills until the end of April, which they have stressed are strictly defensive in nature.
China responded that it hopes all sides on the Korean peninsula can exercise restraint. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei made the comments to reporters at a daily briefing.
- 1Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 2Ukraine: Policeman killed and scores injured as MPs back more autonomy for the east
- 3Migrants: Austria tightens up border controls
- 4‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 5Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 11:39 CET China says Japan complaints about U.N. Ban’s WW2 parade visit…
- 11:10 CET Asked about Trump, China says U.S. people want good ties
- 09:55 CET Turkish police raid conglomerate with close links to cleric Gulen
- 09:34 CET Shaky Japanese submarine pitch puts Australian industry offside
- 09:32 CET Three killed, dozens wounded, in suicide attack on Pakistan forces
- 08:37 CET Singapore ruling party for first time faces election fight for…
- 07:33 CET Reporters cleared in Thai navy defamation case
- 06:07 CET Insight – Anti-Muslim Buddhist group moves toward Myanmar’s…