Winter has not finished with eastern Europe just yet, with Easter holiday plans in Russia and Ukraine being made with snow in mind.
Moscow is blanketed in the second heavy fall of the month, with traffic jams and flight cancellations compounding the misery. But there is plenty of the famed Russian gallows humour to keep people going.
“It’s terrible. I think it’s the 55th of February, not the 25th of March. This is bad weather,” said one woman.
“Not good. I’m a street worker. We have been working for so long through the whole winter,and now this. April’s coming! April! And we have snowfall after snowfall. You can’t even imagine what will be coming next,” said one man.
Sub-zero temperatures have been matched further south in Ukraine, where an unprecedented blizzard has dumped a whole month’s worth of snow on Kiev in the last 48 hours. Only the underground railway is working; all other modes of transport are paralysed, with motorists heading west on the motorway caught in an 80-kilometre traffic jam on Sunday.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3France claims Russian jets have struck rebel, not IS forces in Homs
- 4Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 5Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Denmark: launches anti-migrant ad campaign
- 14Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 15Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 18Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 19Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 20[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
Wires > News
- 11:50 CET Iran’s supreme leader bans negotiations with the United States
- 11:46 CET Turkey’s AKP election pledges to cost 1 percent of 2016 government…
- 11:43 CET MSF calls for independent commission on Kunduz hospital attack
- 11:42 CET Palestinian woman stabs Israeli near Jerusalem holy site – police
- 11:33 CET Suu Kyi says hopes to lead Myanmar despite constitutional ban
- 11:20 CET Imelda Marcos disappointed her son only aiming for Philippine VP
- 11:06 CET Russia beefs up Tajikistan base with attack helicopters – report
- 10:34 CET Kurdish militants ram car bomb into Turkish gendarmes post – army