Winter has not finished with eastern Europe just yet, with Easter holiday plans in Russia and Ukraine being made with snow in mind.
Moscow is blanketed in the second heavy fall of the month, with traffic jams and flight cancellations compounding the misery. But there is plenty of the famed Russian gallows humour to keep people going.
“It’s terrible. I think it’s the 55th of February, not the 25th of March. This is bad weather,” said one woman.
“Not good. I’m a street worker. We have been working for so long through the whole winter,and now this. April’s coming! April! And we have snowfall after snowfall. You can’t even imagine what will be coming next,” said one man.
Sub-zero temperatures have been matched further south in Ukraine, where an unprecedented blizzard has dumped a whole month’s worth of snow on Kiev in the last 48 hours. Only the underground railway is working; all other modes of transport are paralysed, with motorists heading west on the motorway caught in an 80-kilometre traffic jam on Sunday.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Political pressure grows in post Brexit Britain
US Supreme Court strikes down Texas law imposing strict regulations on abortion
Belgium deploys F16s in fight against ISIL
Ex-Moldovan PM is jailed for nine years for abuse of power
Flight recorder of crashed EgyptAir flight is repaired
Wires > News
- 04:09 CET Empty houses and jobless maids – Indonesia’s expat exodus gathers…
- 01:29 CET Exclusive – U.S. to downgrade Myanmar in annual human trafficking…
- 01:18 CET Insight – Pakistan’s new military courts challenged over abuse…
- 01:14 CET Japan revamps child welfare, but tens of thousands still…
- 01:11 CET Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- 00:58 CET Turkey mends fences with Israel, Russia in foreign policy reset
- 00:21 CET Iraqi army closes in on Islamic State militants near Falluja
- 00:02 CET Magnitude 5.7 quake shakes southern Mexico, no damage reported