Winter has not finished with eastern Europe just yet, with Easter holiday plans in Russia and Ukraine being made with snow in mind.
Moscow is blanketed in the second heavy fall of the month, with traffic jams and flight cancellations compounding the misery. But there is plenty of the famed Russian gallows humour to keep people going.
“It’s terrible. I think it’s the 55th of February, not the 25th of March. This is bad weather,” said one woman.
“Not good. I’m a street worker. We have been working for so long through the whole winter,and now this. April’s coming! April! And we have snowfall after snowfall. You can’t even imagine what will be coming next,” said one man.
Sub-zero temperatures have been matched further south in Ukraine, where an unprecedented blizzard has dumped a whole month’s worth of snow on Kiev in the last 48 hours. Only the underground railway is working; all other modes of transport are paralysed, with motorists heading west on the motorway caught in an 80-kilometre traffic jam on Sunday.
- 1Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 2G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 23:15 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search…
- 23:08 CET Poll gives Peru’s Fujimori 5.8 point lead a week before election
- 22:55 CET Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs
- 22:51 CET U.S. lawmakers want Obama to impose sanctions on Congo
- 22:26 CET Trump pulls out of debate showdown with Sanders
- 22:06 CET Ex-Guinea-Bissau PM calls government’s dismissal ‘constitutional…
- 22:04 CET Greece says sanctions against Russia not productive
- 21:54 CET U.S. judge sentences Vietnamese man to 40 years for al Qaeda…