Nine-times Olympic gold medallist Carl Lewis said this week he hoped Japan would win the right to host the 2020 Olympics.
Widely regarded as the one of the world’s greatest athletes Lewis is visiting Japan to support children in tsunami-devastated areas.
But whilst in the region the four-time Olympian took a trip down memory lane and visited the Yoyogi National Stadium where he set three world records at the world Championships in 1991.
Lewis reflected: “I have obviously tremendous memories of that and that was without question my best track meet ever, so let’s just start with that, and the fact that I had the best long jump of my career and the best 100 metres and was able to win three gold medals. Just tremendous, but for me it was more fitting because Japan had been the one place I’ve been to the most in my career, they’ve been the most supportive in my career outside the United States.”
Japan’s sports authorities have offered to demolish the stadium, which served as the main venue for the 1964 Summer Olympics, and replace it with a new futuristic stadium ready for the 2019 Rugby World Cup and for the 2020 Olympic bid.
Lewis was enthusiastic about the plans and said: “Japan has always been a high-tech community and I think it would be a showcase, probably more high-tech than any stadium that’s ever been made, and I think it will be a great place to be. I will be at the 2020 games wherever it is, and I hope it’s here.”
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 21:36 CET Woods sees game coming together after ‘frustrating’ season
- 21:17 CET Mexico fires coach Miguel Herrera after punching incident
- 20:17 CET Nigeria target German model in bid to revive fortunes
- 20:08 CET Diaby agrees deal to join Marseille
- 19:27 CET Boston activist group credited for defeating Olympics pitch
- 18:22 CET Berlin hosting “Jewish Olympics” in stadium Hitler built
- 17:44 CET Crespo joins Villa as Sherwood continues to ring changes
- 16:17 CET Vidal completes $44 million move from Juve to Bayern