Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel stormed to victory in a thrilling Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday, leading a Red Bull one-two ahead of team mate Mark Webber in a race packed with intrigue, incident and plenty of bad blood.
The Mercedes duo of Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg crossed the line in unison 12 seconds behind Vettel, while last year’s winner Fernando Alonso crashed out on the second lap when his damaged front wing buckled under the Ferrari’s chassis.
The cars started the race on intermediate tyres following a heavy downpour in the mid-afternoon but the main talking point will be the disharmony between the drivers of the leading four cars with both Webber and Rosberg feeling let down by their teams.
Webber moved up from fifth on the grid to first after the second round of pit stops and finally gave up the lead to Vettel, who had demanded his team mate be moved aside by his team, on the 44th of the 56-lap race.
Rosberg also had the pace to get past Hamilton late in the race, but team principal Ross Brawn told the German to stay behind the 2008 world champion and make sure they finished rather than race each other.
Ferrari’s Felipe Massa came home in a distant fifth place with the Lotus duo Romain Grosjean and Kimi Raikkonen, winner in Melbourne a week ago, taking the sixth and seventh spots.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Vuelta: Sbaragli sprints to stage ten honours
Japan complete team double on final day of Judo World Championships
Vuelta: Dumoulin wins Stage 9 for overall lead as Froome finishes second
World Athletics Championships: final day round-up
Chavas retains red as Stuyven wins crash-hit Vuelta stage
Wires > News
- 00:26 CET De Gea transfer to Real scuppered by paperwork delay
- 00:19 CET Ones wild for Djokovic as he races to first round win
- 00:03 CET Nishikori, Ivanovic out as U.S. Open starts with upsets
- 23:44 CET Venus needs three sets to advance at U.S. Open
- 23:33 CET Norwich sign DR Congo forward Mbokani
- 23:22 CET Cruzeiro sack former Brazil coach Luxemburgo
- 23:13 CET Defending champion Cilic advances in straight sets
- 23:11 CET Dortmund winger Blaszczykowski joins Fiorentina on loan