24/03/13 11:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Formula One world champion Sebastian Vettel stormed to victory in a thrilling Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday, leading a Red Bull one-two ahead of team mate Mark Webber in a race packed with intrigue, incident and plenty of bad blood.
The Mercedes duo of Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg crossed the line in unison 12 seconds behind Vettel, while last year’s winner Fernando Alonso crashed out on the second lap when his damaged front wing buckled under the Ferrari’s chassis.
The cars started the race on intermediate tyres following a heavy downpour in the mid-afternoon but the main talking point will be the disharmony between the drivers of the leading four cars with both Webber and Rosberg feeling let down by their teams.
Webber moved up from fifth on the grid to first after the second round of pit stops and finally gave up the lead to Vettel, who had demanded his team mate be moved aside by his team, on the 44th of the 56-lap race.
Rosberg also had the pace to get past Hamilton late in the race, but team principal Ross Brawn told the German to stay behind the 2008 world champion and make sure they finished rather than race each other.
Ferrari’s Felipe Massa came home in a distant fifth place with the Lotus duo Romain Grosjean and Kimi Raikkonen, winner in Melbourne a week ago, taking the sixth and seventh spots.
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 4Who were the people behind the Paris bomb attacks?
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 10Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 18Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
Champions League: Real Madrid and PSG set sights on knockout stages
Kenyan athletes continue protest at federation HQ
World Cup winner Nonu unveiled at Toulon
Heightened security to be introduced at upcoming major sporting events
Wires > News
- 00:34 CET Chelsea repeat drubbing of Maccabi to close in on last 16
- 00:07 CET Sanchez epitomises Arsenal’s never-say-die attitude
- 23:44 CET Ten-man Bayern crush Olympiakos to book knockout place
- 23:43 CET Sanchez double helps keep Arsenal’s hopes alive
- 23:13 CET Casillas blunders as Porto blow chance to qualify
- 23:02 CET Lyon bow out of Europe with last-gasp Gent loss
- 22:59 CET Barca’s Suarez and Messi hit doubles in Roma rout
- 22:46 CET Brazilian World Cup winner Edilson charged as part of fraud ring