While there has been heavy snow in parts of Europe including the UK, in Kiev it has been so bad that a state of emergency has been declared.
One month’s normal snow, which is about half-a- metre, has covered the Ukrainian capital in just 24-hours.
The army has been brought into action to try and help clear the roads.
“Trolleybuses, trams and taxis are stuck, people have to walk, it takes 2-3 hours to get somewhere. The streets are blocked so the snow ploughs can’t get anywhere, the city is paralyzed,” said one brave soul who had ventured outside.For most it is a struggle to get cars movin, but dozens of volunteers across the city have teamed up to see what they can do. “We decided to drive out into the city and help people. We’ve already managed to help several ambulances and almost 20 cars,” said one volunteer.
Our very cold reporter in Kiev, Angelina Kariakina said the weather forecast is for more snow over the next 2-3 days.
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 3Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
- 4French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
EgyptAir crash: forensics suggest ‘explosion on board’ – Egyptian official
Greece begins evacuation of Idomeni refugee camp
Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
Austria’s president-elect talks of uniting his divided country
Missing EgyptAir flight made no “swerves” before crashing – Cairo
Wires > News
- 11:38 CET Yemen university bomb kills gardener, injures two students
- 11:37 CET Key economy figures kept in new Turkish cabinet, Erdogan keeps…
- 11:36 CET Saudi court hands death sentence to man convicted of 2004 attack…
- 11:25 CET Japan sales tax, snap poll in focus as Abe prepares for G7 summit
- 11:22 CET Insight – In Iran, dividends of nuclear deal are slow to appear
- 11:15 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term “like from the old days”
- 11:10 CET Pit collapse kills at least 13 in Myanmar jade-mining district
- 10:55 CET French police break up refinery blockade in anti-reform showdown