While there has been heavy snow in parts of Europe including the UK, in Kiev it has been so bad that a state of emergency has been declared.
One month’s normal snow, which is about half-a- metre, has covered the Ukrainian capital in just 24-hours.
The army has been brought into action to try and help clear the roads.
“Trolleybuses, trams and taxis are stuck, people have to walk, it takes 2-3 hours to get somewhere. The streets are blocked so the snow ploughs can’t get anywhere, the city is paralyzed,” said one brave soul who had ventured outside.For most it is a struggle to get cars movin, but dozens of volunteers across the city have teamed up to see what they can do. “We decided to drive out into the city and help people. We’ve already managed to help several ambulances and almost 20 cars,” said one volunteer.
Our very cold reporter in Kiev, Angelina Kariakina said the weather forecast is for more snow over the next 2-3 days.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
“Life was better then” – Serbs commemorate death of Marshal Tito
Kasich crashes out of race leaving Trump unchallenged for Republican nomination
End of May Hong Kong sale to feature world’s biggest green diamond
Papa Wemba buried in Kinshasa
Israeli authorities discuss a halt on returning attackers’ bodies
Wires > News
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city
- 18:43 CET NATO approves Israeli representation to its headquarters
- 18:38 CET U.S. Navy SEAL killed in Iraq was part of ‘quick reaction force’
- 18:29 CET Syria withholds aid to thousands, risks new siege in Aleppo – U.N.
- 17:33 CET Russia warns of retaliation if NATO makes more deployments in…
- 17:25 CET Al Qaeda in Yemen poses growing threat to shipping – naval force