While there has been heavy snow in parts of Europe including the UK, in Kiev it has been so bad that a state of emergency has been declared.
One month’s normal snow, which is about half-a- metre, has covered the Ukrainian capital in just 24-hours.
The army has been brought into action to try and help clear the roads.
“Trolleybuses, trams and taxis are stuck, people have to walk, it takes 2-3 hours to get somewhere. The streets are blocked so the snow ploughs can’t get anywhere, the city is paralyzed,” said one brave soul who had ventured outside.For most it is a struggle to get cars movin, but dozens of volunteers across the city have teamed up to see what they can do. “We decided to drive out into the city and help people. We’ve already managed to help several ambulances and almost 20 cars,” said one volunteer.
Our very cold reporter in Kiev, Angelina Kariakina said the weather forecast is for more snow over the next 2-3 days.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 3Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 4World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 5North Korea: broadcasts footage said to show latest missile launch
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > News
- 18:58 CET Iran’s windfall from nuclear deal cut in half by debts – …
- 18:56 CET U.N. mission sends Burundi officers home over unrest
- 18:24 CET NATO launches sea mission against migrant traffickers
- 18:23 CET Biden, Poroshenko discuss need for reforms in Ukraine – White House
- 18:16 CET U.S. has ‘significantly’ upped strikes on Islamic State in…
- 18:13 CET Einstein’s gravitational waves detected in scientific milestone
- 17:48 CET Islamic State fighters head south in Libya, threatening Sahel
- 17:36 CET U.N. rights expert accuses Israel of excessive force against…