MPs in Cyprus have voted to create a ‘national solidarity fund’, to restructure the island’s banks and to give the government power to impose capital controls in order to prevent a bank run.
The late night emergency session approved the measures in a dramatic bid to avoid an imminent financial meltdown.
The lawmakers are working to a Monday deadline.
“At this difficult time there are no easy solutions of course, there are no painless solutions. At this moment of a call to arms, the Socialist Party will play its role,” rallied Socialist Party member Nikos Nikolaou.While the voting was going on protesters called for the EU-led troika of international lenders to get out of Cyprus.
The island has been told to raise nearly six billion euros to qualify for a 10 billion euro bailout.
The one measure which triggered the crisis – the rejection of a controversial tax on bank savings – could be back on table in a modified form this weekend.
- 1Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
- 2Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 3Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
- 4Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
- 5Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Political turmoil on the horizon in Turkey?
Donald Trump is set to be the Republican US presidential candidate
Syrian army announces 48-hour ‘regime of calm’ in Aleppo
Fires threaten to engulf Canadian city
Migrants in Idomeni react angrily to idea of visa-free Schengen travel for Turkey
Wires > News
- 01:26 CET Cuba scrambles to keep pace with U.S.-fueled tourism boom
- 01:25 CET Ageing Thailand takes toll on indebted households
- 22:50 CET Turkish ruling party preparing to replace PM Davutoglu – officials
- 21:09 CET Merkel says working for U.S.-EU trade deal this year
- 21:06 CET ‘Three Amigos’ Obama, Trudeau, Pena Nieto to meet June 29
- 19:14 CET Russia arrests groups for planning attacks in Moscow region -…
- 18:55 CET U.S., allies to do more to combat Islamic State – Carter
- 18:52 CET ‘Nasty’ wildfire spurs evacuation of 88,000 in Canadian city