MPs in Cyprus have voted to create a ‘national solidarity fund’, to restructure the island’s banks and to give the government power to impose capital controls in order to prevent a bank run.
The late night emergency session approved the measures in a dramatic bid to avoid an imminent financial meltdown.
The lawmakers are working to a Monday deadline.
“At this difficult time there are no easy solutions of course, there are no painless solutions. At this moment of a call to arms, the Socialist Party will play its role,” rallied Socialist Party member Nikos Nikolaou.While the voting was going on protesters called for the EU-led troika of international lenders to get out of Cyprus.
The island has been told to raise nearly six billion euros to qualify for a 10 billion euro bailout.
The one measure which triggered the crisis – the rejection of a controversial tax on bank savings – could be back on table in a modified form this weekend.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 15Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20Meet Bernie Sanders, the democratic socialist who wants to be US president
Latest world news
Five migrants saved from channel after trying to sail to Britain from Calais
Suicide bomber attacks Pakistani military convoy
Pope Francis celebrates Jubilee day in honour of Padre Pio
World condemns North Korean satellite launch
Syrian refugees flee to Turkey border as Aleppo assault intensifies
Wires > News
- 21:22 CET Anti-Islam movement PEGIDA stages protests across Europe
- 21:10 CET Taiwan quake kills at least 12, fells apartment block
- 20:52 CET Turkey must cut migrant flows to Europe, top EU official says
- 20:44 CET Five Czechs killed as huge Austrian avalanche buries 17
- 20:31 CET Dutch ‘no’ on Ukraine pact would force rethink, minister says
- 20:29 CET More than 3,100 pregnant women in Colombia have Zika virus -…
- 19:08 CET El Salvador detains ex-soldiers for 1989 Jesuit priest killings
- 19:04 CET Nations aim for Afghan peace talks with Taliban by end-February